Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 49 1 2 47 48 49
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
My point was that I wouldn't call it "hardly in yet". Most scientists will agree that it is genetic or at least some combination of genetic and environmental factors, we're just not able to pinpoint exactly what yet, and likely never will.

If you're waiting for definitive proof, you're simply unlikely to get it. Scientists rarely agree with one another all the time -- it keeps them employed if nothing else. But science is also constantly evolving.

With very rare exception can we point at a gene and say "that's the one". Not even with long withstanding things like autism, which have tens of thousands of researches looking at it, can we pinpoint the genes causing it.

On that subject, let me ask you a question, Sandman:

Genes are not simply On/Off switches. Having a gene that is a sign of a particular genetic disorder does not mean that you'll have that disorder because genetic disorders can also be affected by environmental factors as is presumably the case with autism for example.

If, at some point, scientists say a particular gene causes homosexuality but a certain environmental factor introduced at a particular point causes it to 'alter' a person, does that mean homosexuality is genetic or environmental?

Without the gene, exposure to that environment would never have caused a change. But without the environment the change wouldn't have occured either.

I ask because this is most likely the scenario that will be agreed upon by geneticists because that's simply how genetics works, it's rarely a 100% black and white thing.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Obviously it would be a combination of both, but neither IMHO, makes it right. I won't go any further because it will only start a flame war here. If you want, PM me and I will tell you what I won't post here.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Sandman333:

So you are a clinical psychiatrist capable of self-diagnosis then?

This has nothing to do with knowing yourself as a homosexual. The time that homosexuality was considered a mental illness passed decades ago.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
There are so many discussions in here referring back to the bible. What about the people who are NOT christian? Why should they have your beliefs pushed upon them? Who cares what it says in the bible if you are not religious? Should I have to follow the beliefs of the bible if I don't believe in the bible itself? Why should a certain religion be forced upon me? Why should a decision be made based on a certain groups religious beliefs?

Religion should have absolutely no play in this decision, not everyone in this country is christian. What happened to freedom of religion (or the choice not to choose one)? Equal rights? Seperation of church and state? <---does this only apply in the schools?

In my opinion I feel that the bible has many outdated and old ways of thinking and I do not see how any human could possibly live their lives based on what the bible deems as acceptable/unacceptable. If that is the case, the way of life in Afghanistan doesn't seem so far fetched after all.

Last edited by ZetecNinja; 11/07/04 09:35 PM.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Computer has been broken for a few days...sorry for the late response.

The answer is easy...remove marriage from all legal documents, make everything a civil union.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by dnewma04:

The answer is easy...remove marriage from all legal documents, make everything a civil union.

It will never get a majority vote. The Supreme Court would be the only group able to nullify the institution of Marrage. Supreme Court appointments are going to more concervitive(sp?) judges by Bush.

Married status permiates through the very heart of society. You are asking a majority to accept that their views on a long standing institution, over 2300 years old in current form, are wrong. Perhaps the effort should be put into changing the social conventions that marrage affords and not the institution itself. Of course this will run headlong into the issue of some people needing a label to be happy instead of fullfilling the needs of the arguement they provide. I.E. Rich or Poor

Lee Cox No Contours to speak of...
D
D
Originally posted by Lee:
Originally posted by dnewma04:

It will never get a majority vote. The Supreme Court would be the only group able to nullify the institution of Marrage. Supreme Court appointments are going to more concervitive(sp?) judges by Bush.

Married status permiates through the very heart of society. You are asking a majority to accept that their views on a long standing institution, over 2300 years old in current form, are wrong. Perhaps the effort should be put into changing the social conventions that marrage affords and not the institution itself. Of course this will run headlong into the issue of some people needing a label to be happy instead of fullfilling the needs of the arguement they provide. I.E. Rich or Poor

I am suggesting changing the term used to describe a legal union, not the "institution or marraige". It probably won't happen, but it's a shame. I never once said you couldn't call yourself married, or that you can't go through a marriage, just that from a legal perspective, it would be called a civil union.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
a 'civil union' is probably the best example of 'seperate but equal' we have got going on in this nation right now.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
a 'civil union' is probably the best example of 'seperate but equal' we have got going on in this nation right now.

And can you tell me in one instance where "Seperate But Equal" was truly equal?

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I think that's his point.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Page 49 of 49 1 2 47 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard