Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 48 49
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
On another note: In Ohio, they "gay marriage ban" is really strict. They got tricky and didn't post the actual text of the amendment on the ballot, but a summary of it. The summary leaves out the part that bans a "common law" marriage between a man and a woman. I know Ohio is bible belt, but come on, common law marriages have been accepted since the 1950's.

I'm fine with them defining marriage as the union between a man and a woman, but they should make one further distinction. A true "marriage" is something that is supported by the church.

If a couple is joined together, homosexual or hetrosexual, and it is not recgonized by the church, but by the state, then it is a "civil union" which gives the same benefits of a "marriage". If the state wants to marry a dog and a cat, I couldn't care less. Let the church and state stay seperate. Give civil unions to those who don't want the church involved, and give marriages to those who do. It's that simple.

That is my .02

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by bishop375:
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
It's not the religious behind all of this.

I'm with Bush on this one, lets explore civil unions, and let the term Marriage be for a man and a woman. If we allow gays to marry then what else are we opening the door to?

Polygamy?

Maybe a Bisexual 3-some of 2-guys & 1 woman all want to be married.

We wouldn't want to dicriminate against anyones sexual agenda.

Why not ban the term "Marriage" altogether save for those in a Judeo-Christian religion, and turn any non-religious joining of two people into Civil Unions?

What drives me nuts is how people can equate gay marriage with being a "gateway" marriage, which makes no [censored] sense what so ever. The term marriage seriously needs a redefinition to fit the times. A union between two adult-aged, non related human individuals makes total sense as a definition to me.

You people scream about the sanctity of marriage, but you don't give a rat's ass about the straight folks who've been destroying the institution for decades by marrying FAR too young, too stupid, too often, or for OTHER gains be it financial or otherwise. I mean, look at how many celebrity marriages have failed. Do you think that all celebrity marriage should be banned because they may not create a child? What about two people who marry but are infertile. I guess they're screwed under your terms, right?

And to ask the inevitable question- how would the concept of two same-sex individuals alter how much you care about your marriage to your spouse? If it alters it, your marriage isn't as strong as you thought now, is it?

First, what we have here is a childish rant and attempt to bring a lot of factors into the issue that are irrelevant. The whole point that was made by the citizens of those 11 states was that people do NOT want to re-define marriage. Traditionally, marriage has been between one man and one woman. We are not changing anything, only reaffirming the fact.

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by DJ Capp 911:
just typical hypocrisy in america. Today my client was talking about how happy she was about bush winning. Then i was saying how i dont care much for politics because I see both sides of most issues. I made an example of mexican illegal immigrants which she went off on a big tirade. 5 minuts later she was telling me about her housekeeper that is an "illegal" mexican. Total hypocrite!!

And so that represents all of us that want a ban on same-sex marriage, right?

95 Contour SE ATX V6- SOLD 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 Tiptronic 2004 Honda VTX 1800N1 There are no stupid questions. There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Davo:
Originally posted by daenku32:
Now, can you Davo give a reason to ban gays from marrying?

Marriage is the oldest and most basic social institution. Gay 'marriage' disrupts that social institution.

I'm all for legal recognition of homosexual relationships. Anything less than that would be discrimination. I don't understand why the homosexual community puts so much emphasis on beoming heterosexuals. This is analagous to the feminists basing the success of their movement on how much more like men they can become. If homosexuals put as much energy into building the prestige and significance of their relationships as they put into trying to become part of a historically and socially heterosexual institution, they would advance much further towards 'equality'.

EDIT: Please note religion has nothing to do with this.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
it is not, to be married you should have a baby.

It is to a Catholic.

But, in about 1930 (see my other post) the Anglican Church accepted non-procreative sex as a "bonding" activity. Other religions followed suit.

Marriage (to a Catholic) is a sacrament that includes having children and raising them to be Catholic. It also includes sex as "recreation," but denounces artificial contraception as a worldly interference in heavenly affairs (not to mention, a sin.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by RogerB:

And I have no more problem with gay people than I do with deaf people. Frankly, I'm conflicted on a number of issues, and I don't think there are any easy answers in this one.

Sorry for the ramble.

Surely you're not suggesting we let deaf people get married too???

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by red99sesport:
common law marriages have been accepted since the 1950's.

Common law marriage is illegal in the state of NM. Technically, an unmarried man and woman cannot live together for more than six months. The law dates back to the 1880's to keep US Soldiers from shacking up with Mexican prostitutes, thereby "neglecting" their duties as soldiers.

S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
speaking of "we", what is Canada's take on the subject?
i know in Mexico, gay people are treated like sick freaks

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
By no means am I happy with the divorce rate. I think it is far too easy to get married today, and again far too easy to get divorced. People should be given pause before making such a committment. I don't pretend to have the answers here, as you can't force religious beliefs on others, but clearly some type of mandatory counseling is a first step to both marriage and divorce. American society is and has been based on the family, and gay marriage simply doesn't fit that.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Sandman333:
American society is and has been based on the family, and gay marriage simply doesn't fit that.

First of all, consiering more than half of today's marriages end in divorce i hate to think that our society is based on it, but if it is that explains why our society is so [censored] up right now. 2nd, how is it that gay marriage does not constitute a family? My gay brothers relationship with his partner and their relationship with my family now is far better than the "family" that i grew up in??????

Page 3 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard