Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Alright my best advice to is your hands off of your and any car for that matter. If you cant change a fuel filter without creating a problem like this then your just arent meant for cars.
I have changed hundreds of fuel filters and never had any problem, easy take off put new one on type of thing.

Thats harsh man. Practice makes perfect. I think he did everything right, its just a fluke thing.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
maybe the line is pinched somewhere? make sure there are no kinks in the line. also, I'd check the line ends for anything that's clogging them... who knows, maybe there was a piece of debris inside the new filter which got sucked into the line and now you have a partial block.

E0 SVT, lightly modded
O
ODC Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
I couldnt' find the valve for the fuel, checked a Haynes manual and couldn't find it either.

I didn't open the gas tank to depressurize, it never mentinoed that anywhere on the site or in the book. I just pulled the fuse and let the car die (took 5 minutes).

My dealership just called, its a seized fuel pump. It's covered under the warranty so I just have a #50 deductible, they'll change the fuel filter while they're at it

Are the fuel pump's on these cars THAT fragile ?

I'm not going to touch anythign fuel related on that car again !

edit: changed filter to pump (whoops)!

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
the pressure valve is right under the TB with a valve stem cp (looks like one) on top of it....

Fuel filters are not that fragile, looks like you just had a freak fuel pump failure, unless it was showing signs of it earlier. Glad things worked out for you.

Originally posted by ODC:
I couldnt' find the valve for the fuel, checked a Haynes manual and couldn't find it either.

I didn't open the gas tank to depressurize, it never mentinoed that anywhere on the site or in the book. I just pulled the fuse and let the car die (took 5 minutes).

My dealership just called, its a seized fuel pump. It's covered under the warranty so I just have a 50 deductible, they'll change the fuel filter while they're at it.

Are the fuel filter's on these cars THAT fragile ?

I'm not going to touch anythign fuel related on that car again !

Ryan Trollin!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hmmm... sounds like our guesses were correct, and not that you are a horrible mechanic. Interesting... now keep working on your car, and keep learning! BTW, ask your stealership what could have caused a siezed fuel pump. Just curious. ~ Chris

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Sand in the fuel tank?

PS how on earth could you miss the fuel rail purge valve?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
If the fuel filter is left on there for a long time, then the pump adapts to how much pressure is in the lines. After a long time the filter gets clogged and such, and the pump had to work harder. When you finally change it out it is to late and the pump is to weak, that new filter is what did it in.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
Sand in the fuel tank?

PS how on earth could you miss the fuel rail purge valve?

Word. Looks like a crazy coincidence that it went when you changed the filter. Sounds like it was on it's last leg and it was taxed when you repressurized the system. Sounds like things worked out for the best. Yes the returnless FP's seem to go rather easily.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
If the fuel filter is left on there for a long time, then the pump adapts to how much pressure is in the lines. After a long time the filter gets clogged and such, and the pump had to work harder. When you finally change it out it is to late and the pump is to weak, that new filter is what did it in.

by your theory, it seems that a new filter would fix the conditions and cause even a "weak" pump to be able to work better. Where are you getting your info?

T
I have no life
I have no life
T

Complete BS!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard