Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I have noticed lately that there are many different topics of porting and polishing heads floating around so I thought I would throw together a quick FAQ of what I have learned and hope that it will add value to those interested in this procedure. I tried to keep it very generic, non-technical, and objective as possible. All the information was from our experimentation of our R&D sets as well as cutting of over 40 sets of duratec heads now. Please comment as appropriate.

Port and Polish Heads (PnPheads) FAQ

What is PnP heads?
It is a machining process of cylinder heads on vehicles where port shape is optimized to the engine configurations above and beyond the manufacturing process.

Why donâ??t PnPheads come on factory cars?
They skip this step because of cost reasons due to the labor intense process

How do you PnPheads?
This is a common misunderstanding, most people think that gasket matching the intake and exhaust ports then polishing the runners to a mirror finish is the way to PnPheads, this is incorrect. While some gains may be achieved in some instances, heads usually suffer from this process especially matching the exhaust ports where testing has indicated that too large an exhaust port can cause t

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Did you fall asleep at the keyboard, Jesse? Where's the rest of it?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
LOL I must have. Sorry now the edit time as expired so here is the remaing part:

How do you PnP heads?
This is a common misunderstanding, most people think that gasket matching the intake and exhaust ports then polishing the runners to a mirror finish is the way to PnPheads, this is incorrect. While some gains may be achieved in some instances, heads usually suffer from this process especially matching the exhaust ports where testing has indicated that too large an exhaust port can cause the heads to have very poor performance.

Port work is a process where the intake and exhaust ports are worked to the desired I/E ratio that fits the application (ie larger exhaust ports for turbocharged vehicles, smaller for N/A, etc). â??Polishingâ? is also a relative term that doesnâ??t mean you want a mirror finish on the intake runners, you actually want little dimples along the runner that create eddies or pockets of air that reduce the friction losses as the air enters the combustion chamber.

This process of PnPheads is best described by cutting the radius bend a little then â??feelingâ?? with your fingers, flow the heads on the flow bench, then repeat until you reach the desired angle you need depending on the application. In naturally aspirated cars you want the shape of the port to actually aid in â??suckingâ?? air in, in forced induction applications you want to maximize flow, however this shape is different between Turbocharged and Supercharged; specifically around the exhaust ports.

The combustion chamber is another area of tedious concern. When installing larger valves, larger seats must be installed as well. When installing larger valves and seat it causes massive disruption in the combustion process unless the area around the valves are properly cut down (commonly knows as unshrouding the valves) to again meet the specifications of your application (N/A, Turbo, SC, etc). There is a right way and wrong way to do this as well. The wrong way is taking out, as much material as you think doesnâ??t need to be there. The right way is taking away only what doesnâ??t need to be there to allow proper flow around the valves but doesnâ??t negatively impact the quench area and flame propagation of the combustion process. You must use a flow bench to discern if your cutting is helping or hurting.

Mult-angle valve jobs are also usually performed when PnPâ??ing heads. This allows the entrance of the valves to be more rounded (ie. flow better) while still able to seal better then cheaper factory valves and seats. Refer to a how-it-works web site for pictures of this process.

Decking the heads is another process that is of concern. This consists of a planeing process to remove any imperfections in the surface of the heads that mate to the block or to repair a warped head. With Duratec specific engines the piston to valve clearance is VERY small, removing to much material from the surface of the heads could allow the piston to actually hit the valves resulting in total engine failure.

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard