Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1086195 10/24/04 06:48 AM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
I changed my tranny fluid today since my MTX was getting especially hard to shift, and I knew it was only going to get worse as we head further into fall/winter.

Advice for anyone else that's a virgin to this procedure: Make 100% absolutely sure you have an ability to get the new fluid (yummy smelling btw :) into the fill hole quickly. I'd advise elevation by going through the engine bay and a long enough tube to do this comfortably. Even test it with the fluid first since the viscosity is significantly different than something like water...

I had this lame siphon with a smaller tube and it took forever, bah. But hey (!) now my shifting is sooooo much smoother!!

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Yea mine is going under the belt this weekend probably

2005 Nissan Sentra Spec V
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
A Mity-Vac hand pump would also be helpful when changing MTX fluid.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by hetfield:
A Mity-Vac hand pump would also be helpful when changing MTX fluid.

I woulda killed for this thing yesterday...
http://www.mityvac.com/kits.html#fluidtransferpump

thanks for the info!

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Just for info adding, if your tansmission is haveing problems shifting, thats a sign that there are problems (potentialy serious) with your tranny....swtiching to a synthetic, while it seems to fix it, can cause it to become worse in the long run.

I had the smae problem with my 3rd gear. I went to redline MTL...the problem seemed to correct it self, but after 2 months, it returned (hard shifts and grinding) and it was worse than before.

So upon the advise of DemonSVT, i switched to ATF +3....not only did it feel much smoother but there was far less grinding.....Eventuall, it lasted long enough to where i saved up enough to rebuild my transmission completly.

Now,i cannot completly explain why it shifted better with ATF, but i know it has to do with somehting about the MTL being synthetic, and i was told not to use a synthetic when having transmission problems.

Just a little info i picked up that i proved my self right, through trial and error.

Not saying this could happen to you, but its somehting you need to know and consider

Lupe

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 10/25/04 07:09 AM.

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by Zetetic:

I woulda killed for this thing yesterday...
http://www.mityvac.com/kits.html#fluidtransferpump

just did a fluid change a couple weeks ago and used that same pump.
only 2-3 pumps on it and the bottle was empty.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
so, if i've already had synchro work and such on my transmission, id be better off just using the MTL then using the ATF?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by JasonJ:
so, if i've already had synchro work and such on my transmission, id be better off just using the MTL then using the ATF?

yes and no...as long as you used ATF 3 for the first 500-1000 miles for breaking in, then switch to MTL...Synthetic is not a good break in fluid for our cars.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
Just for info adding, if your tansmission is haveing problems shifting, thats a sign that there are problems (potentialy serious) with your tranny....swtiching to a synthetic, while it seems to fix it, can cause it to become worse in the long run

Hmm, thanks for the warning... I wonder if problems shifting primarily into first and reverse are signs of possible impending transmission doom?
I was chalking it up to general MTX-75 characteristics rather than failure, since other CSVTs I've driven seem to be a little hard to shift into 1st and rev as well. If 2-5 were giving me problems I'd definitely start worrying... do you think I should right now?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
my first and second shifts were always a little tough before i rebuilt it....after i did and did the 1000 miles break in with atf 3, and switched to MTl, i had no problems....give ATF +3 a try and see how it is, if it shifts smoother then you may have a problem. But how long it takes to become a major issue, is all;based on your driving habits and how worn the parts are.

Lupe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard