Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Iv been getting crappy milage too. Im averaging 17 MPG. Im getting pretty mad about this. I have no clue what is wrong with my car. It has 60K on it. ALso it does have the v6

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Update!!!

My car does still seem to guzzle gas IMO, but doing a bit better
went 215.8 Miles, and put in 10.5 gallons of gas in

But, I did a little highway driving ont his tank... So I am still disappointed at my gas milage....

Timing belt fixed to a certain degree.

Now my automotive teacher stated my gas milage shouldn't be thrown off much with a bad EGR Valve (not opening) How would this effect my engine? To me EGR is a peice of [censored]... I'm debating wheater to go buy a new EGR Valve now, or wait till Union stops stealing money from my paycheck....

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by ContourKev:
Update!!!

Now my automotive teacher stated my gas milage shouldn't be thrown off much with a bad EGR Valve (not opening) How would this effect my engine? To me EGR is a peice of [censored]... I'm debating wheater to go buy a new EGR Valve now, or wait till Union stops stealing money from my paycheck....

With a nonfunctioning EGR, the computer compensates with a slightly richer mixture, but it shouldn't make too much of a difference with mileage. With EGR, the engine can run with a bit less gas since exhaust gases are inert; with the EGR valve open, it's like having your combustion chambers destroked. EGR came about in the '70s since carburetors were being set leaner and leaner for increasingly stringent CARB standards. The resulting hotter exhaust meant formation of NOx, so inert exhaust gases were used to cool down the the combustion cylinder.

Yeah, it's a PITA. On my '78, I'm just glad that the EGR valve is easily accessible.

Po

Po 1995 Mercury Mystique GS: Zetec 2.0L I-4, CD4E 1978 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau: 351M (5.8L V-8), FMX Coming in 2007 -- 1986 Jaguar XJ12 Sovereign: 5.3L High-Efficiency V-12, GM transmission
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard