Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Worn Rings = burning oil all the tie
Valve stem seals = usually burning oil upon start up.

My understanding is a leak down / compression test will show the wear of the piston rings.

Originally posted by Bike2112:
My Tail pipes are not quiet, but I'm still burning a lot of oil out of the pipes. I am going through about a quart a week. Will a leak down test show if it is leaky valve seals or worn rings?

Ryan Trollin!
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Worn Rings = burning oil all the tie
Valve stem seals = usually burning oil upon start up.

My understanding is a leak down / compression test will show the wear of the piston rings.

Well the rings have it. It smokes only under hard acceleration.

Another question, will gutting the precats cause the car to run richer? Conventional thinking says yes, but here is why I ask. I also have removed the resonator and installed a y-pipe with cat. with a stock set-up, the exhaust flows at a certain rate. The the upper o2's take the reading before going into the precats. Since the stock system flows slower, there is more time for the o2's to get the a/f ratio and make adjustments to the a/f in the PCM. Now, by gutting the precats, removing the resonator, installing y-pipe with cat and adding lower o2 eliminators, the exhaust is flowing past the upper o2's faster due to less back pressure. This in turn does not give the o2's the same amount of time to read the a/f and may sense there is less unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Now the pcm will overcompensate for the o2's sensing less gas in the mix and richen things up. Part of my smoking problem could be due to running overly rich. The only reason I pose this is because I have read several articles on cars which have experienced the fuel mix becoming much richer after installation of headers. Also, keep in mind I am not talking about the a/f at wot, but about 50-60% throttle and below 6,500 rpm.

Any thoughts.

E0 SVT Kids, yeah, I have kids. How many do you want?
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
My understanding of the 4 o2 system is this. The down stream o2s are only to monitor if the precats are functioning correctly, and IIRC, thats mainly due to emissions at start up. The upstream o2s are the 'important' ones. It is hte one that actually monitor the a/f mixture. So, my opinion is no, the gutted precats / headers should not affect the fuel consumption, as long as the o2 simulators are working correctly. If that makes sense.

Ryan Trollin!
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Yes, I agree. But do you think since the exhaust is flowing across them faster (them being the uppers) they might be giving a false reading?

I think I just need to bite the bullet and get the motor looked at and/or rebuilt or 3.0 swap. I really want to do a turbo 2.5, but between the cost of 2.5 rebuild and just diong a 3.0 with turbo....I don't know anymore.....Please send sanity.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I doubt it.

Its odd though, that after you gutted your precats that your consuming oil now. It'll be interesting to see what the culprit is.

In all honesty, if your going to get crazy with it, i think the built 2.5L Turbo can't be beat. I mean Chris and Suneil put down some serious numbers. Granted the only built 3.0L hasn't been fully worked out yet, and Tom's stock internal 3.0L setup puts down very good numbers too.

Ryan Trollin!
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Yeah, I agree with the turbo 2.5. It would just be easier to do mechanically since everything is already there. It will probably cost a little more since I would need to have the block prepped because I'm sure the rings have worn the cylinder walls a bit and I will definately have to find a thicker head gasket since my heads were milled .003 when I blew a head gasket.

On another note, and this is for all Capital CEG folks in need, I bought a scan tool yesterday so I can run and clear my own codes. It's a super easy tool to use and I ran my codes this morning. Here is what I got:

P0401- Excessive EGR flow. Probably my DPFE since it is orig and I checked the EGR valve itself when I recently cleaned the UIM,LIM.

P0301- Misfire on Cylinder 3- This is kind of interesting because the combination of the excessive egr flow and a misfire may explain why my car stutters and stalls a lot when I come to stops and then accelerate. It may explain,pertially, all the smoke out of the rear. For those who don't know, I have posted in maintenance about burning oil if you are interested. I think RT knows my dilemma.

P0171- Bank 1 lean
P0174- Bank 2 lean- these 2 are self explanatory. Interesting since I installed the mil eliminators though. Probably need to just install new downstream o2's with new eliminators.

P0430- Cat below threshold bank 2. ???. How come bank 2 and not bank 1? Also is bank 2 on the firewall side of the engine? If so, it could be that I could not get the upper o2 out so I have a new one on one side and an old one on the other, but these are the upper and do not report cat activity.

Anyway, anyone need their codes read in the Northern VA area, give me a PM and again, another long post from Bike.

I hope the info is useful for someone and feel free to comment if necessary.

P.S. How am I doing for a newbie

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard