#1062361 09/27/04 04:42 AM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by pdqford:

You'll prolly get more sympathy on the 'General' board than on this 'Troubleshooting' board for a topic such as this.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that when this thread eventually dies...!

#1062362 09/27/04 05:00 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I assume you are afraid that fixing these problems will not be the end. I have 149k miles almost 150k miles on my 96 mystique which is the same as a contour. The only major problem it has had,that I know of, is the tranny at 146k miles and it was an auto now a manuel. Mine is not a duratec, but a zetec 4 cyl model. The tires are going to wear out on any car if you drive it that hard. Also have you changed the tranny fluid? That might help. But if you have been bittin by the new car bug then no matter how good your car is you want another one. My suggestion if you can afford a new car and want one then just do it and sell your car to someone who will enjoy it and the fact that you already paid the majority of the depreciation on it. Just remember you will likely be doing the same thing again in 4 to 5 years.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
#1062363 09/27/04 12:07 PM
E
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
E
From your tire wear it is obvious you are a hard driver and based on that, your car will require more maintenance than a gentler driver. So be it, it's your money and your car. With the current age and mileage on your 2000 SVT you have already taken most of the depreciation, getting another car at this point will be costly. Equivalent new cars are running in the upper 20k's and low 30k's.

From what you have posted you have no big buck repairs at the moment just a bunch of routine, but not necessarily cheap maintenance. I'd recommend investing in the current maintenance effort and continue driving. I would postpone the decision of replacement until you are faced with a major repair such as a transmission or engine. Given your driving style I'd go for another 2 years and not worry about mileage.

Buying a newer car will (usually) reduce your maintenance requirements but at the expense of a much higher car loan payment or cash upfront. Maintaining a 4 -6 year old car is much less expensive than paying for a newer one. But how much maintenance hassle do you want to live with?

Eric

#1062364 09/27/04 01:59 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Would one of the moderators please move this to the General board,
so that Zetetic can get some more responses.

Zetetic driving your car hard will produce more problems. You stated your leaning in the direction to get rid of it so therefore I said you've made up your mind to sell.

Certain problems come about, but most of the severe breakdowns are more
from modding/hard driving then from normal use.
Quick short trips doesn't help either. Stop and go traffic will mean the brakes will need to be changed more often and fluids must be replaced sooner, especially the tranny fluid.

The big one - spun bearings is really for HARD drivers like yourself. If you put in 6lt of oil your chances of not spinning one is a little better, but the chance is still there.

If you drive your new car like you do the Contour, you may be faced
with the same position your in now. New cars have more electronics and more things to break.
You might be surprized how much more often your new car needs repairs,
but atleast you'll have a warranty. Only not for what you need to repair on the Contour now.

Severe future unknown breakdown can happen to any car, new or old.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
#1062365 09/27/04 02:59 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
OK let's look at this little list you've made:

Originally posted by Zetetic:

I'm looking at:
- new brake pads
- new shocks?
- complete chassis lubrication (lots of squeaks, and I've had the ebrake cable taken care of)
- new set of tires is coming up kind of soon, I'm on my third set. I do *not* peel out, I just take corners as the csvt wants you to. fyi I ran through stock rubber KDWs in 12k, second identical set in 15k, now I'm on the awesome but expensive michelin pilot sport A/S's and am maybe 1/2 to 2/3s of the way through them.
- water pump?
- something for the problems I have shifting (hard to get into first, second, and reverse); maybe I just need the "cocktail"?
- baffled oil pan?

Brake pads are simple and cheap to replace.
Shocks represent a weekend of work and about $250 for a full set of SVT struts. How would all four shocks be dead after 46,000 miles though? I got 80,000 out of mine and that's driving over crappy michigan roads every day.
Chassis lube - not sure about that one as my chassis dosen't "squeak", although the interior plastics and leather sure do!
Tires - KDW's are known to be high-grip low mileage tires, especially with agressive driving. It's typical.
Water pump - $70 for the metal blade impeller and maybe an hour to change out.
Shifting problems - I'd say likely the shift tower, moderately expensive and moderately difficult to repair.
Not sure about the baffled oil pan.

Unless there are other "serious" problems then this falls under the typical repair and maintenance category of stuff. Hardly worth dumping the car over IMO.

The rest of your post sounds like you verbalizing your worries and indecision over the car, except for this comment:
Originally posted by Zetetic:

I drive my car HARD, and know there are consequences for this.

That really sums it up right there. You sleep in the bed you made. The SVT Contour is a slightly high strung, slightly finicky performance car. NOT something you can just drive and forget about. It requires care and maintenance and isn't the most reliable.

The people who have over 150,000 miles are the ones who drive responsibly and maintain the car agressively. If you're not willing to do those things then maybe you should sell the car after all.

#1062366 09/27/04 04:53 PM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by chongo:
Would one of the moderators please move this to the General board,
so that Zetetic can get some more responses.

No, please don't move it, because I'd rather not move the flames with it, as that tends to sway people's responses, and I would prefer to get input here and modify my post to correct the issues I'm seeing here. Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion peoples, when I said I'm "leaning in a direction," the comment was focused on leaning towards getting a used car rather than a another new one IF I was going to sell this car (a decision I'm very split on).

I also tried to emphasize that I know my hard driving has consequences. This is why I take meticulous care of my car, changing the mobil 1 every 3000 miles (it needs it, too), and trying to stay on top of other maintenance as well (hence me looking at replacing things even if a bit earlier than usual).

erb13 and 96mercury, awesome input, THANKS!

akrump47, thanks as well for your advice, though I have a question about the shocks - I'm not even sure they are what needs to be replaced. The symptom is whenever the tire falls out-of-contact with the road it seems to really thump when it comes back in contact with the road. Taking corners at higher speeds (like the 'tour was meant to!!) this has potentially nasty side effects (oversteer). Standard disclaimer, since you guys don't know me, I only do high(er) speed cornering when I know the terrain really well and I'm the only one that could get hurt. But we only need to talk about my driving habits to the point of, I like to drive hard and will continue to do so, because that's why I bought this car - imho if you don't like to carve up the corners at least a little bit, you might as well have bought a standard grocery getter! Anyway, back to the topic, I thought "shocks" because that's what (in my mind) presses the tire against the ground, so if things are a little loose back there and the ride seems rougher in general, I thought of shocks first (well, after tire psi). But if there is something else I should look at let me know!

#1062367 09/27/04 05:04 PM
Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
SVT's, hell contiques in general are not for the mechanically timid. These cars will make a backyard mechanic out of the average owner. Everything you stated that is wrong with your tour is small beans, one weekend and lots of beer would have all that work done.

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
#1062368 09/27/04 05:09 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I have to side with a lot of the others on here: Keep it. I went through the same dilemma when knowing that there were some *potential* problems that could arise with the car, and debating whether or not I would want to take that risk.

I decided to take it. I replaced the wear items that needed replacing (brake pads and rotors mainly, end links and bushings) as well as making the switch to Redline MTL (really helps the shifting -- read the transaxle board). When my struts started to leak (at roughly 140K kms), I had them replaced, and the car is excellent since then. I have a little rust forming, but that's it. I keep up with my maintenance, and I treat her well, so she treats me well. And I am not saint on a twisty mountain road either.

The biggest repair that I have faced was a blown steering rack. That ran me $800 Cdn. Still cheaper than 2 or 3 car payments.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1062369 09/27/04 05:14 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Bottom line, what are you thinking about buying and how much will it cost you? The CSVT is the poor mans BMW. When it runs, it is great! But Ford has poor quality controls on the lower end cars like the Tour and Focus. I love my Tour and it is my daily beater, but I know it is inevitable that I'll start it one morning and the [censored] check engine light will pop on! But it is an inexpensive car

Ford Coutour SVT's suffer from automotive Bipolar Disorder.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
#1062370 09/27/04 05:29 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Everyone gets frustrated with their contours. This is what you should do, sell your car to some kid who will actually appreciate it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard