#1062351 09/27/04 12:34 AM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
first things first:
- I love my csvt. I hate my csvt. I want to make a financially sound decision about this car!
- I did a search for posts like this and didn't find any.
- I used to be a frequent poster here, but my username was lost in the ubb upgrade quite some time ago. Honestly, I'm a different guy now and so am using a different nick. Hello again everyone!

So without boring you guys too much, let me jump right into it. I bought my car brand new 4 years ago (it's a 2000) and have had quite the time with it. It's provided me with a LOT of satisfaction, but also a lot of frustration. I've taken it into the shop many times, but my job requires I drive around during the day so it is a *major* inconvience to bring my car into the shop.

I recently ran into someone (friend's cousin at a wedding), we got to talking about cars, and - surprise! - he had a contour svt too! He'd had a 99 and also loved/hated it - after a few major problems he'd decided to sell it and STRONGLY encouraged I do the same.

My car has ~46000 miles on it (millions of short trips :/) and I'm just beginning to get to the point where it could use some major attention. Since I haven't said it yet, I drive my car HARD, and know there are consequences for this. Without an official diagnosis, it seems my car is ready to start having some parts replaced. I'm looking at:
- new brake pads
- new shocks?
- complete chassis lubrication (lots of squeaks, and I've had the ebrake cable taken care of)
- new set of tires is coming up kind of soon, I'm on my third set. I do *not* peel out, I just take corners as the csvt wants you to. fyi I ran through stock rubber KDWs in 12k, second identical set in 15k, now I'm on the awesome but expensive michelin pilot sport A/S's and am maybe 1/2 to 2/3s of the way through them.
- water pump?
- something for the problems I have shifting (hard to get into first, second, and reverse); maybe I just need the "cocktail"?
- baffled oil pan?

I'm just not sure I want to deal with all this, which kinda looks like the tip of an iceburg. Part of it is just that the car is getting older, and I'm okay with that. But I'm also afraid of the long-hard-right-turn oil problems killing my engine. There are some pretty exciting newer cars out there, and also some used cars I could really get into that would maintain value better (I'm leaning this direction) than the contour.

I have taken very good care of this car aside from driving it hard - religiously using mobil 1 ever since the third oil change, exhausting cleaning inside and out (gotta love that zaino!), etc etc.

What do you guys think? You've seen the troubleshooting forum here, many of you have dealt with the same problems I have, and many I (luckily!) have not. Do you see this car being a 200,000 mile car? How about 150k or 100k?

Should I keep this car? Or should I "remember the good times" and sell it? I'm very split on this and could use some input!

#1062352 09/27/04 01:20 AM
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
Frankly, all that work you listed is pretty routine stuff. It would have to be done on almost any car of that vintage and mileage.

You could sell it but would probably have to do some of the work anyway to get decent $ for it.

When I saw your post I was expecting to see some "serious" problems.

You need to decide if you want a new car payment or not as any used car (of that age and use) will require most of that work or perhaps more.

1999 CSVT #545
#1062353 09/27/04 01:42 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Wow your gonna sell your car over what all cars need.
I wouldn't think brakes, shocks or taking you car in for an oil change and get your chasis lubed at the
same time would be a reason to sell........

The tranny issue maybe, but atleast have it looked at.
You've gone through almost 3 sets of tires on 46,000 miles. Stop the burnouts!!!!!

Damn if these are your only problems, your damn lucky. Wanna see my repair bills!!!!

Driving it hard is a big problem. We just had a local member pass 300,000km with a few minor problems.

It's your car, do with it as you please, but don't ask should I sell it because of normal usage repairs,
your just asking for flamage!

Last edited by chongo; 09/27/04 01:48 AM.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
#1062354 09/27/04 01:48 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Brake pads at 46k you kidding me? They wear out ya know, sort of happens when you use the brakes. The previous owner had to replace rads/rotors at 42k, so 46k is about right.

#1062355 09/27/04 02:16 AM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
I didn't come here to be flamed, so please don't start. If you'll notice, I didn't list out the problems I've had with this car, which have been numerous.

Please read the entire post next time, I clearly stated that I do not peel out.

What I'm looking at folks, is that I DO have a lot of maintenance coming up, and I'm not sure if I want to put the money into the maintenance if I'm not going to keep the car.

Plus, I have a ticking sound, described in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/56j86 , and also a light on the dashboard that comes and goes, plus the rare throttle loss/surge on a corner, to name a couple of my current issues (I forgot about them when posting the orig thread).

Please, I would love to hear advice/thoughts but PLEASE read the post first. THANKS!!

#1062356 09/27/04 03:22 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Zetetic:
If you'll notice, I didn't list out the problems I've had with this car, which have been numerous.

First off I did read the whole post and all you said was, you've had your share of fustration.
Am I too assume that these were HUGE repairs?
Your reasons listed for selling the car is based on usual up and comming maintenace not severe breakdown.

Quote:

Please read the entire post next time, I clearly stated that I do not peel out.

In my opnion a peel out and a burnout are 2 different things!
Peel out - squealing the tires from a standing start.
Burn out - making the rubber burn causing them to smoke.

Quote:

Plus, I have a ticking sound, described in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/56j86 , and also a light on the dashboard that comes and goes, plus the rare throttle loss/surge on a corner, to name a couple of my current issues (I forgot about them when posting the orig thread).

This would've helped knowing that severe problems might be evident.
I only answer from what's in this thread. I don't jump around the whole board, trying to find all your other posts reguarding problems you might be experiencing.

Quote:

Please, I would love to hear advice/thoughts but PLEASE read the post first. THANKS!!

I read the post the first time, by the sounds of it, you've made up your mind already, so sell it.
I answered very politely in my first post and based that post on the information you gave me.

Remember, depending on how you go about selling it, you may have to repair it anyway, to pass a saftey check.
Selling a car with problems means you take a bath on the price and it may take a long time to get rid of it.
If you decide to trade it in, look for an even lower value.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
#1062357 09/27/04 04:11 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
If you want to sell it, then let it go. Again, you might want to reconsider whether it is worth the depreciation cost. Expect to receive much less than your asking price. Send me a PM if you do decide to sell it. I won't mind taking it off your hands if the price is right.

#1062358 09/27/04 04:29 AM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by chongo:

Your reasons listed for selling the car is based on usual up and comming maintenace not severe breakdown. I'm asking for advice based on everyone's experience.

Not true. I haven't decided to sell it yet, and my fear is that the car will have a severe breakdown.

Quote:

In my opnion a peel out and a burnout are 2 different things!

If I don't even peel out, one can reasonably extrapolate that I would not do smoky burnouts either.

Quote:

I only answer from what's in this thread. I don't jump around the whole board, trying to find all your other posts reguarding problems you might be experiencing.

You would've had a hard time finding other posts since this one was the first one I've made since I came back!
(I'm sure it would have helped to know severe problems might be evident, yes, but also I mentioned several severe problems the contour is known for, so...)

Quote:

I read the post the first time, by the sounds of it, you've made up your mind already, so sell it.

If I'd made up my mind, I wouldn't waste anyone's time!

Quote:

I answered very politely in my first post and based that post on the information you gave me.

+
Quote:

Wow your gonna sell your car over what all cars need.
I wouldn't think brakes, shocks or taking you car in for an oil change and get your chasis lubed at the
same time would be a reason to sell........

The latter quote (and first response) I would not consider to be polite. I do not think this is a "crazy" question.

Listen, I'm sorry to waste everyone's time, I thought perhaps I could get input based on experiences you've had, but I can see I'm just going to get nitpicked into oblivion. ah well, such is life!
/will still check this thread for a while, in hopes someone is out there with an ....

#1062359 09/27/04 04:38 AM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Zetetic:

/will still check this thread for a while, in hopes someone is out there with an ....

You'll prolly get more sympathy on the 'General' board than on this 'Troubleshooting' board for a topic such as this.

#1062360 09/27/04 04:40 AM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by ouch:
If you want to sell it, then let it go. Again, you might want to reconsider whether it is worth the depreciation cost. Expect to receive much less than your asking price. Send me a PM if you do decide to sell it. I won't mind taking it off your hands if the price is right.

Depreciation has been quite severe, I knew it would be when I first bought it - but it has been my intention all along to drive/own it for as long as possible, so I didn't care much.

But with such strong advice to sell, I really thought I should look into it (and obviously, still am looking into it). Currently it looks like my car, without the audio gear (which I would keep anyway, restoring everything to stock), would sell for a little over $10k to a private party. With the amount left on my loan, I'd rather not sell the car because most of the depreciation has already happened. Most if not all of the money I am currently paying towards the loan I can expect to get back if and when I do decide to sell.

So I'd like to keep it, but am wondering about reasons to do so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard