Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Just doing some routine maintenance today and I snapped the passenger side front bleeder screw. I am sure this has happened to some of us before. What are my next steps? Is the car driveable? No fluid is leaking as it snapped in the closed position. Is my only drawback that I can't bleed the fluid on that side or will trouble creep up in the near future as a result?

Any thoughts anyone?

Thx a bunch

Fern

1999 SVT Contour Silver Frost Bassani,Ground Controls Street..17x7 Rage 5.0/Falken Azenis Sport 225/45/ZR17 Track...Kosei K-1 17x7.5 Avon Tech Ra 225/45/17/ Quaife/ SPEC Stage III/ Fidanza /Capaldi Racing 4.5 final drive/TCE Brake Kit 13"
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
First of all you don't need to bleed brake system as maintenance. You bleed when you open the system, like changing a caliper or cylinder. Anyway, if your pedal is feel good and you don't need to bleed anymore on that side you can leave it that way. Air won't come in or oil out. The only point is that won't be able to bleed on that side. You can try to drill it out and put a new bleeder but that will be a loss of time.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Thx that is what i thought.
I track my car many times a year and have found it necessary to bleed the brakes. My fluid looks quite nasty after a track day or two.

Thx

Fern

1999 SVT Contour Silver Frost Bassani,Ground Controls Street..17x7 Rage 5.0/Falken Azenis Sport 225/45/ZR17 Track...Kosei K-1 17x7.5 Avon Tech Ra 225/45/17/ Quaife/ SPEC Stage III/ Fidanza /Capaldi Racing 4.5 final drive/TCE Brake Kit 13"
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It is a good idea to CHANGE brake fluid from time to time. You will not be able to purge that caliper now since the bleeder is broken.

It may be at least partually due to the lack of changing the fluid that the bleeder is stuck and broke.

So one approach could be to leave it alone until that caliper gives other problems and then replace the caliper. A better approach would be to try to finish removing the bleeder but have a replacement caliper lined up in case you don't succeed.

How often should you change the brake fluid? It somewhat depends on how hard you drive your car. Every time the brakes are used a tiny bit of atmosphere (with moisture) gets past the various seals. The moisture alone does damage as the fluid looses it's ability to absorbe the moisture. The boiling point of the fluid drops as well so that you have less reserve before boiling the brake fluid during high demand braking situations. If the brake fluid boils, you have no brakes until it cools down. Heat from agressive braking accelerates the deteriation of the fluid. The fluid eventually becomes corrosive and eats up the inside metal parts of the brake system.

DOT 3 fluid should be changed at least every 4 years. DOT 4 fluid should be changed at least every two years. Racing teams usually change the brake fluid every race! I use DOT 4 fluid and change it every year, during the cars aniversary month.

So it's your car, and your safety involved, but at least you now have more complete information to make a decision on.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I have had the fluid changed a few times over the last year or so. So I know that it wasn't from a lack of fluid changing. It must have been a brain fart on my part or something like that.

If I am successful in backing out the remainder of the screw I assume that as soon as I back it out fluid will be spewing out? At least until I can get the replacement screw in? At that point I would have to bleed again to get any air out. Are my assumptions correct?

Thx for help so far.

Fern

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by SVTFern:
I assume that as soon as I back it out fluid will be spewing out?

it won't be gushing out if that's what you think. it's front right, it will run relatively fast, if it's rear it will be comfortably slow. still it's a good idea to have someone redy to add the fluid to the reservoir in case it takes longer than expected to get the new screw in. alternatively you can just leave the reservoir cup on and the fluid will not come out at all (almost). would be reasonable to pump it afterwards in case some air got in.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by SVTFern:
Just doing some routine maintenance today and I snapped the passenger side front bleeder screw. I am sure this has happened to some of us before. What are my next steps? Is the car driveable? No fluid is leaking as it snapped in the closed position. Is my only drawback that I can't bleed the fluid on that side or will trouble creep up in the near future as a result?

Any thoughts anyone?

Thx a bunch

Fern

Me too yesterday. This car is frustrating!

SVT 99 #526 of 2760
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Fern,

I've snapped a few also. For some reason in 99 Ford switched to a smaller bleeder screw that with any amount 9of corrosion will snap right off (much smaller than any other ones). I've never been able to extract a bleeder out of our calipers, for the time and hassle involved I just pay the $40-$50 for a rebuild unit.

Usually what I do now is Spary the bleeders with som penetrating oild before and go around the edge of the threads with a pin or some other object wit a point to break whatever surface corrosion is there

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
A set of easy outs *might* do the job.....

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
A set of easy outs *might* do the job.....

They won't work. I've tried, and because they're rusted in there good and bleeders are typically die-cast metal, they just shred. Like someone else mentioned, some caliper have th 8mm bleeder screw which is a weak part, but you can swap out the caliper for another one - that's what I did.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard