Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1061987 09/26/04 03:26 PM
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
For many months now i've had idle surge and could not figure out what was causing it. After replacing several parts unecessarily (EVR, DPFE, EGR Valve, IAC) I finally figured it out. The high pressure cut-off switch on the high pressure a/c line had alot of dirt and water inside causing it to short out or something and cleaning it out made the idle surge go away. Apparently the switch was sending incorrect signals to the PCM making the idle go up and then down. The water and crud must have gotten in there one of the many times I cleaned the engine. Anyone who has this problem should check it out, it was a very cheap fix since it didn't cost me anything to clean it out.

95 Gl Zetec Atx
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Is there any way for you to post a photo of where the valve is? My idle goes up and down 500-700 with A/C on at idle.

Last edited by HITMANinMI; 09/26/04 04:12 PM.
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Is there any way for you to post a photo of where the valve is? My idle goes up and down 500-700 with A/C on at idle.

By "valve" i'm assuming you're refering to the high pressure switch I was talking about in my post. If so, it's located right in front of the coolant expansion tank and is also right next to the washer fluid bottle. It has a plug that has 4 wires going to it. It's screwed into the a/c line and if it needs to be cleaned you can just unscrew it from the line, and don't worry about refrigerant leaking out, there is a schrader valve that prevents it from coming out. You can also leave it in if you find that it is dirty but it's alot easier to clean while it's out. Good luck.

95 Gl Zetec Atx
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Alright thanks what did you clean it with, just use a rag amnd wipe it or something.

E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
I used wd40 to help break up the gunk that was in there...you can use that or something similar and I used a q-tip to get in there and clean it real good.

95 Gl Zetec Atx
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

Is that white thing what I need to remove and clean?

thanks

E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
That would be the one! You don't absolutely have to remove it but it does make it easier. That's what was causing mine to surge...that might or might not be your problem, I guess just clean it and see.

95 Gl Zetec Atx
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
sweet, Ive been having a bit of an idle surge problem myslef... maybe I will check that out.

How the hell do you remove it?

Last edited by AliasJerk; 09/30/04 09:12 PM.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Alright does it just pull out, I tried to pull it out it wouldnt budge.

E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
No, it doesn't pull off. You can use a 14 or 15mm wrench (don't remember which one exactly) and take it off or an adjustable wrench...whatever you have laying around. Make sure you turn it counter-clockwise, don't wanna mess up the a/c line and get sprayed or something.

95 Gl Zetec Atx
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard