Next Thread
Print Thread
#1060064 09/23/04 07:11 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
On my first SVT, there were dual mufflers at the back, one on each side. On my new 2000 SVT, there is just one muffler up toward the front of the car with straight pipes going all the way to the back of the car. What is stock? And what is better? A dual muffler setup, or a single with straight pipes to the back? Thanks.

-Andrew

-Andrew 2000 Black CSVT My Cardomain
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
doesnt seem like either of those cars was stock. there should be three total mufflers (well, 2 mufflers and 1 resonator). the one under the middle of the car is the res., and that should lead to 2 mufflers in the back.

the biggest restriction in the exhaust is the resonator. just search for "removing resonator" in general mods or duratec performance and you should find plenty of info.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Well I'm not sure what the status is on resonator because I don't have a lift. But from what I rememeber there were two big mufflers in the back on my old 98', and there are none on my new 2000. When I had my exhaust tips welded on a few weeks ago the guy said there was a muffler up at the front of the car with straight pipes to the back(he said this is best for performance). So I have no idea about the validity of this statement.

I was thinking about getting a new resonator/muffler up front if those were stock items.

-Andrew

-Andrew 2000 Black CSVT My Cardomain
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Swap the resonator in the middle for a Magnaflow or Dynomax Ultra-Flow (NOT A DYNOMAX SUPER-TURBO, those are SH!T!).

This WILL be loud, but will flow good. The stock resonator has the flow equivalent of a Burger King straw.

You might want to add straight through rear mufflers on each tail pipe though, as it will be cop-attracting loud!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L

The stock resonator has the flow equivalent of a Burger King straw.

That good, huh!

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard