Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
So I was making a left handed turn with my signal on and my turn signals and a/c heater blower stopped working. I came on here and learned I blew the #23 fuse, a 15 amp fuse. Now I can't shift out of park. I replaced fuse and everything is fine with the turn signals/heater blower fan working.

I think maybe I blew a relay or something as well. But I need to be able to drive to the ford dealer and pick up a new relay.

Can someone tell me how I can shift out of park?

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by JonGordo8:
Can someone tell me how I can shift out of park?

Place hand on shifter, squeeze little black button on side, pull back to Drive.

Previous Owner of: 1998 CSVT Black # 2923/6535 Born: 08/12/97 http://community.webshots.com/user/svtcontoursvt
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Check Fuse 34, also read this mechanical release of shift lock

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
thanks...use 34 is fine. I have blown fuse number 23 twice now, so I am starting to worry.

Why would the shift lock mechanism not work afterwards though? Is it connected to a fuse or a relay or something? Cause after replacing fuses it still doesn't engage unless you do it manually.

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
If you have the owner�s manual there is a procedure on overriding the lock out feature. Basically, you locate the small access hole on the side of the shift console and use a pen or screwdriver to move the latch. You have to do this each time you shift from park.
Check your break lights and your BOO switch on the break peddle, it falls off sometimes.

Did you do a search?
jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I figured out how to get it out of park...now I need to figure out why the hell this fuse keeps blowing and why the shift thing is not working as a result. Does anyone know if this feature (the shift lock thing) is connected through a fuse or a relay?

Any ideas on what may be causing this stuff to blow?

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
When the fuse blows do you have break lights? I would suspect no, and if that�s the case I would check for a short at the tail lamp sockets. Unfortunately, none of my schematics show the interlock circuit. But I think the interlock sol is wired directly to the BOO switch which in turn is feed off fuse 24 (fuse 23 is backup lamps). If the tails check out ok, then pull the console and unplug the interlock sol. If the fuse doesn�t blow with the sol unplugged, then the sol is shorted.

jeff

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Just found it, the sol is feed via fuse 23 (as you stated that is the fuse that keeps blowing). So now you have to check the fan speed switch and associated wiring since it is also feed from 23. This switch is a big week spot and has been the subject of recalls and service programs. I would look for a short there first.

jeff

#1053959 09/20/04 01:59 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
ok I think the culprit was my trailer harness being pinched...I haven't blown a fuse all weekend, however my car still wont shift out of park without the screwdriver trick.

What do I need to replace in order to get this to work?

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Do your brake lights now work?

jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard