Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Just wanted to check something. When the cooling fan(s) are running in low speed, do both run, then when in high speed, only the right side fan runs? I really never noticed this before but now with the supercharger and the hot weather we have been having, I see only the right side fan running when the system is in high speed.

Could anyone help me out?

TIA.

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
....I'm not sure. But make sure the one that isn't running hasn't seized. If it is it will catch as it turns.

I do think they both run whenever they're needed..

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
....I'm not sure. But make sure the one that isn't running hasn't seized. If it is it will catch as it turns.

I do think they both run whenever they're needed..

They both spin. I can't really see the passenger side fan blades to see if it runs in low speed, but the driver's side does. When I hear the high speed fan, it's the passenger side, the driver's side fan is off.

I have been looking over the electrical schematics, but I'm not totally sure if this is what should happen. Maybe it's just me, but I thought both fans run in either low or high speed. It could be that one fan is for low speed, the other for high speed. I don't really know, hence why I posed the question.

Thanks.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by cawong11:
.... I thought both fans run in either low or high speed. ...

Correct, fans are connected in parallel. Low speed is achieved by a dropping resistor, mounted on fan shroud, which feeds both fans. High speed is a direct feed which by-passes the resistor.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by horseydug:
Originally posted by cawong11:
.... I thought both fans run in either low or high speed. ...

Correct, fans are connected in parallel. Low speed is achieved by a dropping resistor, mounted on fan shroud, which feeds both fans. High speed is a direct feed which by-passes the resistor.

So here is what I have seen this morning. If I jumper the low speed relay, both fans come on, if I jumper the high speed relay, only the passenger side fan comes on. This is weird. There is a common that feeds the two fans, so I can't figure out why it works one way (low speed, both fans) but not high speed (one fan only)??????

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
This should not happen - but you already know that.

Only suggestion I can make is examine fan motor ground connections and splice in wiring harness. Splice should be located just before wires for motors leave harness. Splice should have four wires; GN/BL & GN/BL(*) the high and low speed feeds, and GN/O & GN/Y the wires to the pass and driver side motors.

(*)Above from '97/'98 wiring manuals, but '95 manual shows low speed wire as GN/BK which makes more sense.

IIRC you have a '98? The '98 manual shows a solid state component associated with fan motors, purpose unknown to me.

Last edited by horseydug; 09/05/04 09:00 PM.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well, I thing I figured it all out.

First thing is that the passenger side fan, wire GR/B, driver's side fan GR/B and GR/W, low speed fan resistor GR/B. The driver's side fan connector was reversed with the low speed fan resistor connector. Not only that, the low speed fan resistor is toast, got an open connection across its terminals.

I am thinking, since I need the engine to cool down more quickly now with the supercharger, for now I jumpered the fan resistor relay so that the fans always kick in high speed. The downfall is that when the A/C kicks in, high speed is the only speed now. It's a bit noisey, but I did notice a lower engine coolant temperature but better yet, cooler inlet air temperature to the supercharger. I guess with the fans running high speed only, they are pushing more hot air out from under the hood.

I'll most likely make things right and install a new fan resistor.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard