Print Thread
#1043237 09/04/04 07:28 PM
P
pdqford Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Still trying to figure out why this '95 2.5L atx will just b-a-r-e-l-y run!

So, last night after it got dark I went out with my handy-dandy little pen light and carefully scoured the engine bay looking for things like vacuum hoses disconnected, mis-connected, loose connectors, etc. (BTW, I find the little pen light works good in the dark for looking down under the intake manifold, between the rear bank and the firewall, etc.)

So I found a connector that is not plugged in. It is kind of behind the passenger side strut tower, under the ICM. It is a square connector and has two wires to it, both white with purple stripe. The two wires seem to protrude about one inch from a very thick bundle of wires. To say it another way, there is this thick bundle of wires out of which comes these two w/p wires for about an inch, and then they go into this connector.

This connector looks to be very clean on the inside, like it has been recently unplugged. (THis vehicle has been flat bedded to a number of Ford dealers and independant shops before it was brought to me in hopes that I can save it from the crusher, so I don't know who has done what to it. But thats a different story.)

Looking at wiring diagrams, the only thing I find mentioned that has two w/p wires has something to do with a SPOUT connector, but it never says what it connects to.

Can someone jump in here and explain what this connector is, if it does connect to anything, and what it does?
Thanks for any info anyone can shed on this thing.

#1043238 09/04/04 08:41 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Reference '95 EVTM manual.

Spark output(SPOUT) check connector, should have a shorting plug installed, sounds like your's is missing. Provides access to spark output timing signal from PCM to ICM(Ignition Control Module).

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
#1043239 09/04/04 09:39 PM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Is there anothere one back there with the same type of connector? It may be the o2 sensor circuit resistor if my memory serves me correctly.......there should be a small square/rectangular gray looking object tht plugs into the socket....

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
#1043240 09/04/04 10:08 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by btrautman:
Is there anothere one back there with the same type of connector? ....

Yes, the octane adjust plug which has BR/Y and W/BK wires.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
#1043241 09/05/04 02:20 AM
P
pdqford Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by horseydug:
Spark output(SPOUT) check connector, should have a shorting plug installed, sounds like your's is missing.

Thanks, horseydug. So can I just make up a jumper wire and connect the two terminals together?

(Is this shorting plug a dealer only part?)

Provides access to spark output timing signal from PCM to ICM(Ignition Control Module).

With the shorting plug missing, does that mean the ICM is not receiving the spark advance info from the PCM and the engine is running with base timing only?

#1043242 09/05/04 02:28 AM
P
pdqford Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by btrautman:
Is there anothere one back there with the same type of connector? ....

Yes, there is another similar connector back there, a little closer to the coil pack. That connector has a small grey 'box' plugged into it.

Yes, the octane adjust plug which has BR/Y and W/BK wires.

Yep, thats the other similar connector I found back there. That one seems to have the 'shorting plug' connected. What is the purpose of the octane adjust plug?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard