Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by armyflier24:
Good question. Why don't you sell yours so someone else can appreciate it. After all, taste in cars is like taste in women, we don't know why we like what we like, we just do.

Exactly. I don't know what it is about this car, but I think I might cry when the dealer takes the keys from me. It is a truly beautiful car, I LOVE the feel of driving it. The exhaust note is PERFECT in my opinion, and the engine is exactly the amount I need.

Sometimes though, just like women, you gotta realize when you should dump her. My car has turned into one of them women that looks hot, has very nice boobs, and has a very nice personality.. but randomly because insane (PMS) and breaks down and cries all the time.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Well i just got my CSVT not to long ago and i must admit that i am dropping a ton of money into appearence because they are already pretty quick. Besides the faster it goes the more trouble i'll get into. i already have a speeding and a careless driving so.....

oh and another reason... money ainathang!

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Freakshow:
I think the biggest thing with the 'Tour is the uniqueness of it and the fact that so many people look down on it so it can make for a nice sleeper ride. Plus, it outhandles any car in it's price range even with no mods and has great style.

Exactly!

2003 Toyota Matrix 1972 Pontiac Ventura II "Sprint" 1998 SVT !SOLD!
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
To me, the contour/mystique is a good, cheap, reliable (ha ha) comfortable, responsive machine. Good power, good mpg, looks good, handles good.........and usually gets me where I'm going and back again. I don't mod, I replace and repair.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by dmase:
very nicely said freakshow, but I very much envy you with that skyline, I think I would give many things to have a right hand drive skyline gtr here in america, now that is a car to play with and amazing that those engines can be modded to 1000hp and handle it.

thanks for the answers and not just anger just wanted to through out my opinion and see what happens

dmase, by your reasoning, we would all be driving mustangs. Mustangs are the easiest and cheapest to modify for increased performance. For the same money, I can build a mustang that will beat the life out of any Skyline, any day in any speed contest you can imagine. I don't understand your fascination with the Skyline, just like you don't understand some people's fascination with Contours.

Different Strokes for Different folks.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Well, I can't say I get the whole FWD drag racing thing at all, except that it's as grassroots and run-what-you-brung as it gets. I'm just not into it.

I'm into Porsches, and BMWs, and Saabs, and Alfas, and oh yeah, off-beat "Ford of Europe" products like early Capris and Merkurs. Every once in a while, the Japanese get to me, and Nissan more often than not. I'm into road racing, not ovals or straight lines, and I just love to friggin drive.

Another point: It doesn't seem possible, but this simple little family hauling, grocery getting, rental fleet jelly bean gets mentioned by those in the know in the same breath as the best cars of Europe. Sure, it's a Ford, and it has Fordness to it, but despite its "primitive" strut suspension, it handles and steers as if it were designed by an F1 veteran. (Oh yeah, it was...)

So, any good car is worth making better. The fact that you can't get far, hp wise, is a plus for me. It tells me that the factory got it pretty much right from the start. The Italians figured this stuff out, too, but a decade or more earlier. (Their cars were taxed based on engine displacement, so they squeezed as much power as they could out of little powerplants while their Euro and UK brethren just added cylinders.)

I don't care so much about shaving another tenth off my quarter, but a little better handling, a tweak to the brakes, and a few more ponies is just not a bad thing.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
ANYTHING can be made fast, its how much work and money you can put into it.

Mustang, Camaros, Hondas, etc are all a dime a dozen and can be made relatively fast for cheap.

Its all a matter what YOU (the owner/enthusiast (butchered that)) want and like.

I personally like bastard Ford cars that are not main stream (Taurus SHO, TBird SC, Contour SVTs), thus I pay. Yes they are not, and will probably never be as fast as a Cobra, but I think I have just as much fun. Its also getting to the goal and doing the project yourself.

Ryan Trollin!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by armyflier24:
After all, taste in cars is like taste in women, we don't know why we like what we like, we just do.

This comment really sums it up quite nicely. When it comes to cars, so much is subjective to driving preferences and ownership experience.

Sometimes people ask questions or argue about cars as if there is an absolute perfect answer or "ideal" car that everyone should drive. There isn't. You find something you like based on its overall character, driving qualities, performance, styling, features. Most important is the feeling you get from owning and driving it.

When you find something that satisfies you in all these ways, you take care of it and invest your time and money into making it better. And just like with women, what I choose and prefer -and my reasons- may be totally different than yours.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
dmase,

Strictly speaking, I agree with you. That's why I bought a weekend car (sold now) that was much easier to work on, had much more power/potential to start with, looked good TO ME, and had many choices for mods that were a great deal less expensive. I don't mod my SVT, it's my daily driver and for what it is, it's great. I personally don't believe it's worth the effort to highly modify a FWD car. RWD/AWD, the potential is there and it's much easier to extract it. Not saying high performance isn't possible with FWD, it's just generally much more expensive to extract.

That said, I still love my daily driver SVT. I hardly ever see my same car on the roads, and I've got 83k miles and have never had any problems with this vehicle. I still wind it out quite often, though I'm gentle on the drivetrain generally. At this point the car isn't worth enough for me to sell it or trade it in, so I'll probably keep it until it dies on me, which I hope will be several years from now.

Actually, the SVT just tripped a CE light last night on the way home (first time ever). Everything seems in order, think I'm going to reset the CPU tonight and see if it trips it again or if it was just a temporary issue.

Best Regards, HitchHiker 05 Altima SE-R - smoke, 6-spd - Fujita CAI Best stock times: 1/4: 14.366 @ 98.99MPH - 2.366 60 ft 1/8: 9.373 @ 79.84MPH - 2.366 60 ft
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by dmase:
i have to ask why everyone dumps all of this money into these cars.

Man Dan you sound just like my woman, she freaks everytime I throw money into the car. SHe doesnt get it at all. She consistantly tells me that it is either going to break beyond repair or more likely be totalled in an accident and ill be out everything. I cant explain why I love my car but I do and I cant stop modding!

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard