Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1039606 08/31/04 07:01 AM
D
dmase Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Alright first of all I am probably going to get screwed over for life on this forum but i have to ask why everyone dumps all of this money into these cars. I have a 00 csvt and it is a pretty handsome ride and with a lowering kit and some tint it is a nice looking car, but the platform is not any good for the aftermarket world and for quarter mile that a lot of you are all racing. I understand the desire to make these faster but I really weighed the pros and cons and it is way to expensive to maybe with a huge bankroll to put these things into the 13's. I mean a turbo kit is about 5 grand and a supercharger is almost 3 grand used if you can find one and even that isn't gauranteed to put it into the 13s. I just don't think that guys should be posting quarter mile times and sigs stating how much [censored] they have put on their cars because horsepower to moeny ratio for these is just ridiculous. And even with the 3 liter hybrid blown or turbo or nitrous or even the combination of the two that would make the aftermarket more than the worth of the car. Now don't get me wrong, my last car as a 1997 3000gt vr4 and I dumped a ton of money into it but I saw significant numbers from that money. Not nearly as much as if I would of started witha supra or something of that category, but stil I took it from 300hp stock to almost 500hp with a few bolt ons and with all wheel drive I could dump the clutch at 7000rpm and not break traction. With the csvt I drop the clutch at 3500 or higher and break the front end loose.

bottom line I just don't understand the desire for speed with these cars when speed is all what we desire regardless if you admit it or not, speed is the ultimate drug. I would just think that one would do some mods to alter the apearance and maybe some mods under the hood, but to save money and build up a platform that i smore willing and able to make the hp numbers that we all desire.

I am sorry to affend anyone but I have thought this a while and just had to get it off my chest and get some opinions from others who have dumped tons of money and time into these cars.

thanks guys
dan

I agree. You're an idiot because: 1) you went so fast on an open road, and 2) you came here and posted about it. And like Horse said, who cares about maxing through 5th. It's meant as an overdrive gear, not a race gear.
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Good question. Why don't you sell yours so someone else can appreciate it. After all, taste in cars is like taste in women, we don't know why we like what we like, we just do.

"A job will always take TWICE the time you think you need."
D
dmase Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
don't get me wrong i enjoy the looks of them greatly but just don't understand the need for performance upgrads that cost 3 times that of a platform that can yeild hp numbers double if not triple that of the csvt.

I agree. You're an idiot because: 1) you went so fast on an open road, and 2) you came here and posted about it. And like Horse said, who cares about maxing through 5th. It's meant as an overdrive gear, not a race gear.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I feel your pain. I bought my csvt because I wanted something very few people had. You don't see very many of these, and I greatly value individuality. I love the fact that I rarely see another CSVT! I was gonna buy a WRX, and I'm sure I could get more hp for my money with one, but those cars are a dime a dozen. Now that I have the svt the speed bug has hit me, and I am struggling with the idea of heavily modding this car. What's the point of putting all this hp into the car at a high price if I can't even beat the wheel hop? Wheel hop sucks, and this car is much harder to launch than others, but I like it anyways. I guess I will just keep dumping lots of money into this car anyways....it has kinda grown on me. I constantly find myself struggling with the idea of selling the car for a WRX, STI, or EVO....but I just cant seem to do it.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
i see what your saying. i don't see myself turboing or super charging my csvt anytime soon with the prices being as they are. if i wanted something fast i would get a 1985 or older rx7 and throw a turbo II motor into it, for the price of a turbo for the contour i can have a fast ride. but then when u look at it, it doesn't have the look of a csvt. i enjoy the looks of both but i like my csvt just how it is.

well if that made anysense, hope u got my point?

98 contour svt #6473 of 6535
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
I can't say that I understand it either, but I'm a Ford fan, and right now the insurance on a Mustang would kill me, even for a '90 GT (which is what I really want), so I put my money into my 'tour.

'98 CSVT 3L Hybrid "It all comes down to how fast you want your money to go." ______________________________________________ View Profile
D
dmase Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
i do very much agree with the looks of the csvt. I enjoy the way it looks and the way it handles which I believe to be one of the better traits for the car besides its styling.

And I also agree with the ford side of the story. My grandfather and my father taught me how to work on cars and they all taught me on fords so I have a loyalty that was earned from those past vehicles.

And also I agree with the insurance issue, god damn illegals and elderly drivers raising my insurance rates. Oh yea and brief insanity.

F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
It's an individual thing. Each person has their own reasons why they mod their Contour, or any other car for that matter. There are probably very few people on here that have modded their cars that didn't at some point think "damn is this really worth it? Maybe I should just go buy something easier to mod" but that's just the thing: If it was so easy everyone would be doing it and 'Tours would be all over like Hondas and EVO's and STI's. I think the biggest thing with the 'Tour is the uniqueness of it and the fact that so many people look down on it so it can make for a nice sleeper ride. Plus, it outhandles any car in it's price range even with no mods and has great style.

I personally wouldn't dump 10K into mine; but that's just me and it's more than a money issue: my car is sitting in Cali right now while I'm here and going to Japan for several years where I won't be able to have it. I'll save my money and use it on my Skyline when I get there.

It's the lightly modded almost stock 'Tours to hardcore blown 3L rides and pimped out show 'Tours on here that make this Contour ENTHUSIASTS Group instead of just Contour Group...people love their 'Tours period. Passion is the only thing I can think of to describe it.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Well said Freakshow, that about explains it.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
D
dmase Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
very nicely said freakshow, but I very much envy you with that skyline, I think I would give many things to have a right hand drive skyline gtr here in america, now that is a car to play with and amazing that those engines can be modded to 1000hp and handle it.

thanks for the answers and not just anger just wanted to through out my opinion and see what happens

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard