Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
whats up evryone.....im taking a trip in two weeks and i was wondering if my tour would be allright driving a 1000 mile round trip.....it already has 119,323 miles on it...i would like some input from people letting me know what they think...thanx

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Simple way to answer this question:

Has the car been properly maintained?

If so, start driving and don't worry.

If you aren't sure, look at your maintenance records and your car's service schedule. Take care of whatever isn't up-to-date.

If you don't have maintenance records, you're very lucky to get this far. Start shopping for a new car.

My quick checklist before taking a trip:

- Check all fluids (brake, power steering, ATX, engine coolant, engine oil). If any are near a scheduled change, take care of it now.

- Check all tires (tire pressure, tread depth, etc.). Don't forget the spare.

- Check over belts, hoses and other "consumables" (like wiper blades) to make sure none are near the end of their life.

- Has the car done anything unusual lately? If so, get it checked before leaving.

I tend to buy used cars and keep them along time, so careful maintenance is key to saving money and avoiding breakdown. Case in point: I'm currently using my '86 Mustang as a daily driver at 207K miles. The car has always been reliable, but I've also been nearly fanatical about maintaining it. The car shows every sign of giving many more years of good service.

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
As 'phil' said.
Same milage on the '95 once a month 900 miles rounder, twice a year I drag a loaded utility trailer. And I drive it with a smug smile, knowing I'll get home and how much fun the car is to drive. Happy motoring.......

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
ok guys, thanks.....i appreciate it....

T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
I just got back from a 4000km round trip in my 96 Tour Sport which as 209000km on it. It went off without a hitch. I did all maintainence in preparation for the trip. Replaced failing suspension parts, did the breaks all around, topped off all fluids, etc....
Do a thorough inspection of the car. Any quirps are best fixed before you depart on your journey.
Have a great ride!

____________________ 96 GL Sport 2.0L Zetec ATX Custom Focus Intake MSD Blaster DIS Coil ____________________

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard