Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
I'm looking at a 1998 Mystique, V6, Auto, loaded. 72K miles.

Been looking at maint and user reports. I recognize that people complain more than compliment, and that the imports are overrated. I like the car, and think that users forums are much more objective than the other sources.

Question to the forum:

1. What would a fair price be for this car ?
2. I need to make sure that the recalls have been attended to, and question whether the water pump is original, but I don't know whether this motor has a timing chain or timing belt. How would I find out ?

Anything else to look for or consider ?

Thanks to all. Hope I'm not asking a question already answered (for the Mystique).

PS: Love these forums. Active participant in Maxima.org --- great site. Saved me $1K's in repairs. Nissan dealerships ... say no more.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Well, I can tell you that they have timing chains. That's about it!

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Our 1998 Mystique had a problem with the flywheel, and it only started intermittantly. It was a pain in the ass to get fixed and cost someone $1800 to fix, but not me. Other than that the car had absolutly no problems.

D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
test drive the car for a bit, if there is anything majorly wrong you'll notice it. and i believe you want the metal impellar replacement pump.

price:
private party: 4000-4400 based on how well its condition is
stealership: 6200 or around there.

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
1. Unable to advise since location has a significant impact on market value of used cars.

2. If water pump shaft has GMB stamped on pulley end then original pump has been replaced with a metal impeller one. Other than that, unless you take it apart to see impeller, no way I know of to determine if it's original. Original (if built in '97) had black plastic impeller, a replacement pump would more likely have a white or perhaps tan plastic impeller.
A Ford dealer can tell you outstanding recalls from the VIN.
A V6 has two timing chains, the I4 a timing belt.

Be aware that pre-cats (inside exhaust manifolds) are prone to problems and are only covered by the emissions warranty up to 80k miles (70k in CA).

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
K
OP Offline
K
So the timing chains do not need to be replaced as maintenance ?

What can I expect to pay to replace a timing belt/chain ?

Thanks...

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
since the car listed in your first post says its a v6,then it DOES have timing chains and not belts....so you should never have to change them.....

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:
since the car listed in your first post says its a v6,then it DOES have timing chains and not belts....so you should never have to change them.....

Until they stretch/break.

1998 Contour SE 2.5L Duratec DOHC 5spd. "Who needs a working IMRC? - I don't." 1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe 1994 GMC Yukon SLE 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner - restoring for a friend.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Moloko:
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:

Until they stretch/break.

Which has happened how many times? Exactly; they're not an issue.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard