Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I tried searching for this problem but I can't seem to find much, probably because I don't now what the switch is called.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago the A/C started acting strange. It would blow cold out of the right vent but warm out of the left. Recently the switch on the air controls that switches between A/C, defrost, panel etc is acting up (probably the same problem). When on panel it will sometimes blow air at your feet etc. It seems like the internal mechanism that directs the air through the ducts is not switching to the correct position for some reason.

Any idea what I need to replace/fix? I was going to try removing the dash this weekend to see if I can find out what is wrong. I've removed dashes on some older cars but not on my contour. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. its a 98 Contour LX v6

B
OP Offline
B
I found some instructions for removing the dash but I'm still not sure what I should be looking for. I assume that there is a problem somewhere between the A/C/defrost/panel switch and the mechanism that directs air within the ducts. Can anyone give me an idea of what I should be looking for?

Thanks

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
You dont need to remove the dash. I think the first thing you need to remove the radio, you need that speical tool, like $4 at Wal-mart. I cant remember how many screws and such are back there, there are a few of them I know you need to disconnect the light dimmer some how to. The black panel thing should then come off and you should be able to replace the switch.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Below posted on 8/28 @ 2:13pm & 2:34pm, transferred from now deleted thread.

Originally posted by BioDeathWalker:
So, I've narrowed down my air vent problem to the fact that I'm not getting vacuum. I removed the glovebox and checked the vacuum resevoir and it's not getting vacuum. There is a black hose that I'm assuming is supposed to have vacuum. Where is the other end of this hose?

I'm assuming it goes to the upper intake manifold but I can't figure out which one it is. There is a grey hose coming off a T that goes down the firewall but I can't tell where it goes after that. Is it the grey one? If, do I need to remove the entire dash to get to it and replace it?

Thanks in advance

Didn't know if this would help but when I turn the controls to a/c I can feel/hear my compressor turning on and off. I've heard that the compressor cycling over and over can be caused by a vacuum leak but not sure how.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Welcome onboard.

....I was going to try removing the dash this weekend ....

...do I need to remove the entire dash to get to it?

You appear to have an obsession with removing dash, please refrain from doing so.

Instead, check vacuum hose routing diagram in engine compartment. FYI there is a check valve in line to reservoir(located under dash).

...I've heard that the compressor cycling over and over can be caused by a vacuum leak ..

Refrigerant leak and resultant low pressure perhaps, but not a vacuum leak.

p.s. HVAC controls (knobs/switches); fan, mode (aka function) and temp.

B
OP Offline
B
You said there's a "check valve" on the line. What does it look like and what does it do?

Also, if you have a vacuum leak don't you normally have other problems with the engine like high idle?

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Bulge in incoming line before reservoir, prevents vacuum bleeding off when engine off. Also one in power brake booster line.

Yep, leak after MAF becomes unmetered intake air affecting mixture.

B
OP Offline
B
OK, so I had some help from my brother and I think I've found the line off of the intake. At the top its a grey line that goes down along the firewall. Near the bottom there is something in the line about 2 or 3 times as thick and an inch long (the check valve?). After that the line is black and enters the firewall along with some other thicker hoses. I disconnected the grey one at the intake and the black one at the vacuum resevoir and tried to blow or suck air through it and I couldn't.

Was that the check valve you were refering to or is that something else? Can a check valve go bad and clog the line?

At this point I'm not sure what to do. As far as I can tell the lines don't have any holes or breaks in them that would release the vacuum. It seems like something is clogging the line. I could try cutting the black like just before it goes into the cabin and then check the two sections. What should I do?

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Don't cut, autopsy not called for - yet!
I recall check valve being under dash just before reservoir, as previously mentioned. Perhaps you are simply looking at inline connector between grey & black hoses. The "other hoses" would be to heater core.
Not sure if manually blowing from dash side of black hose is possible. Yes, check valves can clog (e.g. PCV valve, see also Big Jim's recent windshield washer post), although this one is operating in a pretty clean, air environment.

Last edited by horseydug; 08/28/04 09:22 PM.

B
OP Offline
B
Well, the only thing on the line that I can see (or feel) from the resevoir on the passenger side to where it disappears behind the dash is the elbow connector on the end of it. Is the check valve built into the connector? It is larger and a different look to it then the other vacuum elbow connectors.

P.S. I was actually blowing/sucking from the intake side not the resevoir side

Last edited by BioDeathWalker; 08/28/04 09:28 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard