Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
So my alternator died last night. Luckily I was able to nurse the car to my girlfriends apt before it died completely. So this is the second time in as many years that its happened and I'm wondering if I should invest in a booster. I called my mechanic and he said I should probably get one for myself even though he offered to lend me one this time around. Does anyone have any experience with them? Whats a good brand/price? Do they even work? I've never heard of using a booster for this. I thought they were just good for jumping a dead battery, not charging a battery while driving in place of the alternator.

Darren '98 Mystique LS -Duratec, MTX Nakamichi CD-40z, Knauberized, KKM tru rev intake, 9MM Motorsport Wires, SVT Springs/Struts
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Well it would work just like the battery would.

It would act as a 12 volt source until it drained. Not ideal in the least since the system is used to a regulated ~13.5 volts but it would keep the engine running.

Now the jumper pack will likely not even have half the reserve time of a normal car battery so it sure won't last long.

They are a nice tool but I wouldn't carry one around with me just to carry it. Hell why would I want another 40lb battery adding more dead weight.

Now to take with you on a trip is a perfect example of an ideal time. (along with that old serpentine belt you replaced, hand tools, and et cetera )

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Thanks. It turns out that my mechanic doesn't have one to lend me and so I will end up buying one. Thanks for the advice. Its funny, I've had my old serpentine belt in the trunk for so long, but no hand tools of any kind in the car. Lot of good that would do me.

Darren '98 Mystique LS -Duratec, MTX Nakamichi CD-40z, Knauberized, KKM tru rev intake, 9MM Motorsport Wires, SVT Springs/Struts
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Darren G:
Its funny, I've had my old serpentine belt in the trunk for so long, but no hand tools of any kind in the car. Lot of good that would do me.

Tow strap?

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard