Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Thanks to Jagular @ SOS Performance in Indy for sticking with me and running the car basically all day on the dyno....

Dynoed on a Mustang Dynanometer.

from cougarfest, i never got much more torque, but i did get the flattest torque curve i have ever seen..... (big gains down low)

163tq, 160hp..... is the run we printed out... i did basically 5 runs in around that number.... but what's kickass is at 2300 rpm i'm getting 136ft/lbs.... by 3100 it's 140+..... peaks at 4500rpm and stays above 140 until 6000 rpm..... so from 2300 - 6000 rpm i'm getting 85%+ of my peak torque .....

Beautiful Flatness.

now for the fun part ........

75 wet shot.......

240 tq, 210 hq..... on a mustang dynanometer.......

now for argument sakes, a mustang dynanometer should give 10-15% lower than a dynojet (too many variables to know for sure)..... and we have a 15-18% drivetrain loss..... that 240tq number works out to about 330tq @ 4500 rpm and 280hq @ 5200rpm on the crank snub.....

Jagular (TJ) was awesome. He worked with my car through all the details. I have a UNI Chip in my car. The chips are popular with the miata people, and it's basically a super E-Manage. It will do fuel, timing curves, as well as upto 2 secondary controllers for water injection, boost, or in my case a progressive nitrous controller (not yet hooked up)....

How it controls timing is by modifying the cam position sensor, rather than controlling the actual coil pack..... hence no need for special power supply units.....

The only bummer about the chip, is I need to go to an authorize dealer whom has the special dongle to control the chip and program it...... All programming however is done on a laptop.

What we did as essentially add fuel to nearly the entire curve but in and around 4200 rpm where it was running fine.... once the a/f was at a respectable level, we started adding some timing, which really helped in the lower end, but not so much up high.... after over a dozen pulls on the dyno, it was time to turn on the nitrous... and although at first i though something was terribly wrong as it wasn't spraying, i forgot about my secondary kill switch for the n2o (my fault), which was in the off position of course .... so once we turned that on using a 35 jet, the car screamed nearly 50 more ft/lbs (hp was slightly up)..... next we went to the 75 jet, where i netted about 80 ft/lbs to the wheels..... we did a few pulls like this, added some timing, loss a few hp, and pulled it back.....

Also we did all the tuning with the CEL on.... this is because i have no IMRC controller and will continuously trigger the CEL, since the ecu pulls some timing when the CEL is on we figured we will tune it at this level.....

In the end, Jagular is a great guy and worked really hard to make the faltest tq curve i have ever seen on a duratec...... he took some flak from some guys here for being a little ambitious and early with some of his announcements, but he really helped me great, gave me a good deal on the dyno and well for the amount of time my car sat on the dyno, i could never find a better deal anywhere.....

if you are looking for a tuning solution, take a look at Jagular's shop in Indy called SOS Performance. 765-617-8655.... he may not have the reputation of street flight, but he really knows his stuff, and well to me the 5 hour drive to indy is much easier to accomplish, than the 2 day drive to arizona......

My setup:

2001 3L with oval port plastic intake manifolds
2001 3L Cams (about the same as stock SE cams)
PnP Heads
19# injectors with 19# C&L MAF
3L Throttle body
Intake, exhaust, gutted pre-cats
Nitrous Express Wet shot (running 75 for now)
UNI Chip Engine managment system

2000 Cougar V6 MTX 2001 3.0L Swap w/ PnP Heads - It ran, it boomed, it RUNS AGAIN Nearly all suspension mods Big ass stereo ...and more... See Her Here
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Should have added SVT cams if you went through the trouble pnp heads. It is flat but the numbers seem low even on a Mustang Dyno with those mods.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
the #s are on par with another 3L hybrid with svt cams... he had a few more hp than me and that was about it... so i'm thinking this dyno just registeres low numbers... the operator says he usually sees about 15% difference with dynojets in the area.....

svt cams = 750$+ (new timing system for svt cams = 100$)
stock SE cams = free with motor......
pnp = included in motor re-build....

for 850$ i think it was better invested in a nitrous kit.... no way svt cams would of got me another 80 ft/lbs

also remember when i built my motor i was the first straight 3L...... this is when only 2-3 hybrid 3Ls existed, and well for the mild upgrade from stock to svt you get, i would of rather waited for a good set of street cams (cat cams) to come out, and would just rebuild the motor at that point in time... (that's what winters are for)

2000 Cougar V6 MTX 2001 3.0L Swap w/ PnP Heads - It ran, it boomed, it RUNS AGAIN Nearly all suspension mods Big ass stereo ...and more... See Her Here
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
When juicing it, aren't you maxing out the 19 lbs injectors? I would think 24's would be better for your setup.....

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I was thinking used cams $350 from what I've seen. You do have a point by going nitrous. 10hp compared to 75.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I'm glad you have it up and running well. Especially after all the troubles you had.

I'm not overly impressed with the numbers though considering the mods.
Yes I realize it's a Mustang dyno too and direct comparison to other dynos is impossible. But still...

My measly 2.5L had pretty flatline ~160 TQ (even back calculating that's 145+ range) from 2500-6500rpm with a peak of 168 and a low of 150 after 6500rpm. (With the stock timing limiter still at 6700rpm too!)

That's with just some bolt ons and a chip I tuned through the mail (first XGT1 programmed superchip)

It made a hair over 187 HP. (or 170+ back calculating)

I dyno'd once (2 pulls) after that with a road tuned S-AFC and the numbers rose about 5HP/TQ through the powerband with 193 peak HP and 172 peak TQ.

After that I added headers, Max EH'd UIM, optimized LIM, true duals, TwEECer, et cetera.

Since then a few others have got their 2.5L's up in that range as well with just bolt ons and dyno tuning.

Also I agree those 19lbers are maxed out. That could be why you don't get any more HP on nitrous. They will max around 225-240 on a Dynojet.
What did your A/F look like? Post a graph vs rpm.

Though it could also be the stock cams. They sure drop off like rocks eh!

I bet the cams alone would be worth a good 15 through the powerband not to mention extend it another 2000 rpm. (and we all know TQ x RPM / 5252 = HP)

Also they would be "on" all the time. Nitrous works for about 45 seconds and then it's a $50 trip to the speed shop.

You can use the cams in every gear at every rpm as well.

As you all know I am a power under the curve and road racing guy. Nitrous does not fit that bill.

Don't get me wrong. Nitrous is Very high on the bang for the buck scale. It's just very temporary, has very limited use, and must be refilled constantly.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Don't get me wrong. Nitrous is Very high on the bang for the buck scale. It's just very temporary, has very limited use, and must be refilled constantly.

I think it all depends on what you are going for.. For me, I'll probably never do any kind of a road course so for me to spend 5k on the turbo would probably not be worth it, especially since I only drive the car maybe once or twice a week.. I'm more of a 1/4 mile / weekend cough cough street race cough cough kinda guy so nitrous will definitely be my big power adder next spring..

Turbo pimp factor = 10/10
Nitrous with a purge pimp factor = 9/10

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
with a wet shot one need not worry about injectors... but rather fuel pump

demon - i really agree with the numbers, but there were others who dynoed on this dyno and they all posted low numbers (dang's hybrid w/ svt cams posted 172 hp), but when multiplied by 1.15, the numbers came out to what they should be..... what i really need to do is to go to a dynojet dyno event with others to see how i compare in that regards...

as for air/fuel... it starts at 13.5, goes down to 12.7 @ 2500 rpm and comes up slightly towards 6000rpm to about 13.1

on n2o, the air/fuel is even lower, about .5 lower across the board....

10lbs of n20 should last 120 seconds on a 100 shot.... and i can get them refilled for 35$... that's over 100 refills before i would start to consider being in the same price range as a turbo.... not to mention n2o is much easier to maintain..... 200 horses is fine for driving around town.... i don't need 300 horses all the time.... just when i want it..... so it's really a matter of preference....

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
If you are happy wth the numbers that's cool. But I do agree with the rest in saying your numbers seem low compared to others with 3Ls....especially with all of your mods. I also choose the way of "permanent power" by means of turbo and/or cams. Nitrous has not and never will be a way to go for me. It just seems like "cheating" to me. I don't like temporary power boosts. Just personal preference though.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
nice numbers!

E1 CSVT s/c-----x turbo---x 3L------check
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard