Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I have a daughter in Orlando and this is the first hurricane she (and I) have had to worry about. I know there is alot of news about them but you guys are living it now. What are the native Floridian's doing? I need reassurance for me and for her. What do you guys realistically expect? No one where she lives is boarding up windows, etc, although she says people are buying up water, batteries, etc. Should she be doing this also? What's the story. Thanks for your info.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
ahh i don't know how it is down there with bonnie right now, but if she can get to a store and buy the nessecities then i would advise her to. from what they have said on the news up here charley is getting stronger as he comes up but then again by the time it crosses cuba it could get weaker. i would definatly get some nessecites just incase the power and water go off. you never know. just my thought.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/555327 '95 Contour GL Pre98 SVT front bumper and some other stuff 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the SXT package Proud to serve in the US Army!
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
how old is she... ill take care of her j/k im not paying much attention to the paths this year but i think they are strong enough to ruin my trip to orlando this weekend..

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I live in the Tampa area but not near the water. If I were closer to the coast I would be worried. The most you have to worry about in a hurricane like this is the flooding. The winds of a hurricane this size doesn't have much effect on normal homes but trailers are a different story. But even a trailer in Orlando I would expect to be safe. I think the most you will see in Orlando is heavy rains and wind. But I wouldn't park near any trees if I were you. And I agree to pick up a few things of water just in case the water goes out. This hurricane is not as big as Andrew was when it hit Miami.

Former owner: 1999 Contour SE Sport Current: 2000 Eclipse GT There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way! Isn't that just the wrong way? Yeah, but faster!
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by svttour:
how old is she... ill take care of her j/k im not paying much attention to the paths this year but i think they are strong enough to ruin my trip to orlando this weekend..

She's 25 and if you crossed her, she'd kick your a$$ Hey, thanks for the comebacks, how 'bout some people from Orlando or Maitland areas?

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If she's in Orlando, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It doesn't look like they are going to be hit too bad over there. Maybe just a lot of wind and rain, but not so hard as to damage things. Just tell her to stay away from the windows and stay like in the hallway or something when the hard winds come.
Honestly, if the natives are doing a damn thing, that should give her a clue that it's not going to be bad. Now if she were in Tampa or near the gulf side, I would worry. My mom is in Ocala and she doesn't think anything really big is going to happen, but then, my mom's a goober. LOL. She's right in the path of this thing.
We live on an Air Force base in Charleston, SC and we are already packed and the planes are preparing to get out of here when the winds get up to 40mph at minimum. We are already at HurrCON 3, and if it goes to 2, we are packing the car and waiting for word to go. We are planning on heading to my dad's in Glade Spring, Va, which is near the Va/Tn border.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I lived in Orlando for some years, & my little brother did - and now my daughter is going to school at UCF.

A catagory 1 thru 3 hurricane is no biggie that far inland. There will be very little that will be life threatening as long as she stays in. The most she'll have to worry about is rising water from the heavy rains. The winds should be dissipated by the land & buildings that far in so they won't be full force at the ground level.

There is the possibility of tornados, but those will likely happen near the Tampa area, not Orlando - extremely rare.

She should do some prep in case services are interrupted, i.e. stock up on water by filling some empty jugs with tap water for drinking, & fill the tub & use that water for bathing & flushing if needed.

General stuff if electricity goes out, like:

1. eat all the fridge food now so if electricity is out she won't lose as much food.
2. put a few jugs of water in the freezer to help keep things cold for longer.
3. Make sure she's got a week or two of canned goods & such.
4. batteries for radio & flash light.

Overall, the storms are more inconvenient than they are a threat as long as you stay inside.

How's that for re-assurance...?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I lived in Orlando for some years, & my little brother did - and now my daughter is going to school at UCF.

A catagory 1 thru 3 hurricane is no biggie that far inland. There will be very little that will be life threatening as long as she stays in. The most she'll have to worry about is rising water from the heavy rains. The winds should be dissipated by the land & buildings that far in so they won't be full force at the ground level.

There is the possibility of tornados, but those will likely happen near the Tampa area, not Orlando - extremely rare.

She should do some prep in case services are interrupted, i.e. stock up on water by filling some empty jugs with tap water for drinking, & fill the tub & use that water for bathing & flushing if needed.

General stuff if electricity goes out, like:

1. eat all the fridge food now so if electricity is out she won't lose as much food.
2. put a few jugs of water in the freezer to help keep things cold for longer.
3. Make sure she's got a week or two of canned goods & such.
4. batteries for radio & flash light.

Overall, the storms are more inconvenient than they are a threat as long as you stay inside.

How's that for re-assurance...?

Very well put. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. It is very reassureing (sp) to be told by people who actually live in the same areas. Thanks alot and I'll be talking to her in a little bit.

S
SAV Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
In addition, make sure she keeps her car loaded up on gas, incase they have to evacuate. Up here in Savannah, we're getting pounded (a tornado touched down near Ft. Stewart not that long ago) and I bought the jugs of water and other dry food necessities, along with some slow burning wood for the fireplace in case I need to cook.

Keep your eyes sharpened on those clouds and on the weather maps. Those things are known to change direction at the drop of a hat.

Troll. 1997 VW Jetta MkIII GLS 5spd All hail my appearance on CEG!
Z
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Z
granted i was younger,but i weathered the storm (pardon the pun) of hurricane hugo when we lived in Myrtle Beach, SC. it didn't hit MB as hard as Charleston but we stayed in the house. a little harry at times but nothing too bad. i still slept pretty well throughout the night. mostly strong winds as well as a fair amount of rain

2000 csvt #1553 Black/Tan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lee_dup2, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard