Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1019546 08/03/04 06:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by tbirdjayc:
So i was reading a post on another car site where a guy claimed he put his car in nuetral and used the brakes to stop whenever he needed to stop or slow down. I immediately called him a fool because you never want to completely disconnect power from the wheels, especially when slowing down. In addition, you should be downshifting a manual car when slowing down to keep from possibly overheating your brakes. Anyhow, i was suprised by how many people had never heard of this, and called me a fool for not just leaving my car in gear and braking. Now i learned to drive stick from my dad who is pretty old school (69 mach 1 4 spd was his last stick car). But since i started doing it, I can't imagine driving without downshifting down a hill or into a turn, or when coming to a gradual stop. These guys are telling me its bad for the engine, synchros (though if i have time i double clutch), trans, etc. Is it really safe/good practice to not downshift when slowing?

I have had almost the exact same thing happen to me. My dad taught me how to drive stick, his last manual being a '69 Stingray (that we still have), and told me to downshift while slowing down. Every one of my friends that drives a stick doesn't do that, and has never heard or thought of doing it. It's strange I tell ya. BTW I did notice a considerable decrease in brake dust on my wheels after starting to do this.

Matt 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (WRB Stage 4+) Old Rides: 1999 Sil-Fro SVT Contour 3.0L with goodies (Totalled 6/21/06) 1988 Bronco II (Sold) You know you launch hard when you beat oncoming traffic through their own crosswalk lines.
#1019547 08/03/04 06:49 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
If you don't downshift, and overheat your brakes

Wut? Overheat your brakes? From a few stops? You're only going to overheat your brakes if your in an autocross or on a road course.

Another point, think about automatics. They dont' downshift when you brake. In fact, in an automatic, you're braking both the car and the engine most of the time, so brakes undergo MORE work on an automatic car than a manual does, and you don't hear of anyone burning out their brakes on every automatic made.

Read your ford manual as well if thats not enough reason for you, it suggests AGAINST engine breaking, since it only really has the negative effect of hurting fuel economy.

I always put the car in neutral, or have the clutch pedeal pressed when I brake, and I heal-toe shift in corners that I'm powering through so as not to disrupt balance.

#1019548 08/03/04 07:00 PM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
I've always downshifted. I don't go out of the rev range of the gear below it, but I use that lower gear to help slow the car, and maintain control. I don't like "freewheeling" to a stop.

Never had a problem yet, but that's not a gold standard by any means.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
#1019549 08/03/04 07:19 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
If you don't downshift, and overheat your brakes, you might be replacing your whole car,

Does the atx downshift??

NO!!

Do they have pretty much the same brake??

YES!!

How are they going to overheat due to the trans being any different??

They're not!!

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

#1019550 08/03/04 07:29 PM
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
So i was reading a post on another car site where a guy claimed he put his car in nuetral and used the brakes to stop whenever he needed to stop or slow down. I immediately called him a fool because you never want to completely disconnect power from the wheels, especially when slowing down. In addition, you should be downshifting a manual car when slowing down to keep from possibly overheating your brakes. Anyhow, i was suprised by how many people had never heard of this, and called me a fool for not just leaving my car in gear and braking. Now i learned to drive stick from my dad who is pretty old school (69 mach 1 4 spd was his last stick car). But since i started doing it, I can't imagine driving without downshifting down a hill or into a turn, or when coming to a gradual stop. These guys are telling me its bad for the engine, synchros (though if i have time i double clutch), trans, etc. Is it really safe/good practice to not downshift when slowing?

A couple things:

The reason why you should never slow down or coast in neutral is primarily for emergency situations. You should always stay in gear so if a child runs out of the street, you can still accelerate quicklky without having to get into gear and do an emergency manoever.

I've never heard of 'overheating your brakes' before. Suffice to say, I would rather change my pads since its cheaper and easier than change my clutch, or even tranny if the syncro's wear out.

Personally I slow down in neutral when I see a red light, saves gas and saves my tranny.

And you should practive double clutching more. I can double clutch / rev match in a split second, and your car will thank you for it.

#1019551 08/03/04 07:33 PM
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
I've always downshifted. I don't go out of the rev range of the gear below it, but I use that lower gear to help slow the car, and maintain control. I don't like "freewheeling" to a stop.

Never had a problem yet, but that's not a gold standard by any means.

That's another thing, if you're racing or need to slow down really quickly, you should brake + downshift at the shift points. The car will slow down much faster.

#1019552 08/03/04 07:33 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I still down shift but not for the same reason as some of you....

EX: What happens if your coasting in N to a stop....What if you hae to make an emergence manuver and have to accelerate around something or pass some one to avoid a collision????

You going to spend one or 2 seconds to think about shifting and then shiftback into gear. One or 2 seconds can be the diference betweenhiting and missing.

The reason i downshift is because in case of emergency, im already in the proper gear i need. Thats my reason for doing it.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
#1019553 08/03/04 07:53 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Actually in our cars there is no need to double clutch. That is more for older cars back then with no synchros. I just rev-match down the gear to slow the car down or if you have a little more talent/skill you can always try heel&toeing or even clutchless shifting. Benefit of rev-matching saves the clutch if do it right versus just dropping it in to a lower gear.

Last edited by 98SVTGUY; 08/03/04 07:55 PM.

98svt wrecked 00svt sold 05 GTO m6 my new toy
#1019554 08/03/04 08:00 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
This post makes my head hurt. What's the point of downshifting in normal street driving if you're coming to complete stop? It sure as hell is a lot cheaper to replace brakes ($200) than a transmission or clutch (few grand). I've always dropped it in neutral. What's the point of tranny braking if you're not autoxing or on a road course.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1019555 08/03/04 08:00 PM
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by 98SVTGUY:
Actually in our cars there is no need to double clutch. That is more for older cars back then with no synchros. I just rev-match down the gear to slow the car down or if you have a little more talent/skill you can always try heel&toeing or even clutchless shifting. Benefit of rev-matching saves the clutch if do it right versus just dropping it in to a lower gear.

Still saves on the syncro wear/tear. Plus double clutching and revmatching on a downshift give a smooth as butter downshift. No jerkiness.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard