Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
I just got my new head bolts in the mail today.
$21.99 plus shipping, from
http://www.partsamerica.com

1997 Contour GL, 2.0L, 108K+, Stock
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Ninja, you're taking on quite a project here. You absolutely must do everything the right way or you will be replacing the entire engine. You're timing is going to be gone but it is not hard to get back.

After you have everything back together there is a slot on the cam gears that mechanics use to correct the timing. Slide something in there that is going to be a tight fit and where they have absolutely no play. There is only one way to do this. Then you're going to have to position the number 1 cylinder at top dead center. One way to do this is to use a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and watch for when the screwdriver starts to fall back down and then put it back at the top most point.

On the crankshaft pulley there are two notches. ONE of those notches is the correct placement for your timing. Make sure to use the correct one. I believe when looking at it, it will be the one behind the first one. Going clockwise that is. There is also a notch on your block that you will use to time the crankshaft pulley with. Once your timing is good to go then slip on your timing belt and you should be good.

Suggestion..

Spend 15 bucks and get that haynes manual.... you will be extrememly happy you did.

95 Mystique GS Zetec ATX: Dead - Dec 5th, 2003 94 Accord LX 2.2L MTX Non-Vtec. Few bolt ons. 02 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 ATX. This thing has the CD4E in it?! What the hell was ford thinking?
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Obsidian:

Suggestion..

Spend 15 bucks and get that haynes manual.... you will be extrememly happy you did.

I second that!

After changing my timing belt, I ended up taking it to the shop for them to set the timing straight. I probably could have done it my self but I didn't feel like taking the time .

Take your time and follow the book to the letter.

Contour--It will make a master mechanic out of you! 95 LX MTX Bolt-ons 95 Neon SOHC ATX 77 Dodge Powerwagon-more displacement than my Neon, Contour, and wife's Saturn---combined!
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Awesome info!!! Make this a sticky!

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
I went on that auto zone site and there was only one thing where it showed to keep the timing in place.

I was under the impression that the crank pulley needed to be set to that position and locked in place and then everything else can come off. I was assuming it wouldn't matter how the cam gears come off and go back on. Also do the cams need to be placed back on the head in a certain way or do I just use the straight edge tool to set them right?

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
th straight edge tool will work great. ar eyou putting them back on already???

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
noooo not yet, I've been takin a break...I just wanna build up the confidence that this part is actually doable as it seems like the hardest step.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Hey Ninja why don't you ask in the Phownix area, if other CEG'ers would/could give you a hand at this, there's a few guys that know alot about our Contiques in your area, IE: Darrel, Keyser and i think Rev. Jay

Just an idea

- Eric previous: '98 contour sport zetec mtx light prairie tan
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
i'm sure the mighty duratec guys (excluding darrel) are much too busy for me.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
i'm sure the mighty duratec guys (excluding darrel) are much too busy for me.

NO Darrel has a zetec (non running ) but still a zetec.

Did you ask around, don't cost much just to ask for help, although i never asked for any, most of the time CEG'rs will gladly help others if they can, look around.

You should know this with 6500 + posts

- Eric previous: '98 contour sport zetec mtx light prairie tan
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard