Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
yea well I cannot even think v8 mtx stang here in NYC where when I checked in 94 the insurance on a new stang was 8k for 6 months. who knows what the cost of insuring a mustang would be today in 2004

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
just be careful because it's going to SUCK driving a rear wheel drive car in the winter

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
My father in law had a 99 v6, after replacing the engine and two trannies, he gave it to my brother in law, who hasn't had a problem since!!! Not horribly durable, the 3.8 cylinder is a major piece of junk and has been discontinued in most of Ford's line up.

'03 Protege 5 MTX '02 Mazda Protege LX MTX former owner of: 96 Contour GL 2.5 ATX
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Is 0-60 for an MTX really 5.5sec for a GT (non-Cobra) (#s off Edmunds.com)
That is fast!

So what are the ATX times? Anyone know?

95 Contour GL V6 ATX full of little experimental mods that make me happy
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
2000 or newer Mustang is what to look for.

Either that or build the all too freakin' typical Fox body. (through 93)

The years to skip are 94-99. Not worth your time.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
2000 or newer Mustang is what to look for.

Either that or build the all too freakin' typical Fox body. (through 93)

The years to skip are 94-99. Not worth your time.

99 is effectively the same as 00+

94-98 can be great if you don't mind doing your own upgrades. Heck, the 99+ cars are far better too with the right upgrades.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I'm going to agree with EVERYONE here, stay away from a V6. I drove a friend's 2001 Mustang coupe V6, and her 2002 Mustang Convertible V6 many times. The first time I drove the coupe, I was sorely dissappointed. I expected the car to have better off the line acceleration than it actually did. But my real dissappointment was the automatic trans in both cars. The auto tranny on her's got really "confused" on which gear to pick in certain situations, which hampered what was already a underpowered engine for that particular car.

Another compelling reason shy away from most any Ford with a 3.8L V6 is the little "head gasket" problem Ford has had with this engine for years. Basically, the head gasket fails, which leaks coolant into your oil. The oil then is not able to lubricate your engine parts properly. Eventually, you notice severly reduced performance, take it to the dealer, and they tell you you need a new engine. That's if your lucky. If you're not lucky one day while driving your engine goes bye-bye.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Rara:
99 is effectively the same as 00+

94-98 can be great if you don't mind doing your own upgrades. Heck, the 99+ cars are far better too with the right upgrades.

Okay I didn't remember exactly when they changed the heads, intakes, cams, body style, etc. So all 99+ Mustangs then.

You'll never sell me on the 94-95's & hardly ever on the 96-98's.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
My ex girlfriend has a 01 V6 Coupe with an A/T. It was no GT but it sure as heck had some power. 193HP and some where @ 250 ft.lbs of torque. The thing also handled like it was on rails. It was a fun car to drive. DO NOT GET IT IF YOU WANT BETTER MPG THAN A GT! It only got 1 more MPG in the city and 2 less MPG on the highway than the GTs do. They even make plenty performance parts for the V6 too. The ATI Procharger gave a 14.3 1/4 on an otherwise stock V6 a/t convertible. Add Heads, cam, headers and so forth and you can definately scare the crap out of some GT owners. Especially when you show them your engine. If you can afford it get a GT though, you can do the same stuff and go even faster but it will cost you more for the car and almost twice as much on the insurance.

My Zetec died one too many times so I got a new car. 1992 Camaro RS 305 TBI with T-5 M/T, high flow cat, custom cat back exhuast. Soon to be home to a LS1 stroked to a 383 with a T-56. Hey Brad, want to race?
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
I replaced my 99 tour 4cyl tour w/ a 03 mustang

Speed its quick decently fast to 40 overall its what i expected and i have drove an svt and my mustang is absolutly quicker and i have an ATX

Handling it defintly corners nice in a somewhat sharp curve by my house if i was goin 25 in the tour i would be in danger of crashing i can go 40 in the stang and stick like glue.

Bucket seats are comfortable and nice looking if you get the 2 tone ones

Car does not get tossed around from wind on the highway like the tour u can cruise at 85 w/ no issues at all

Gas mileage if u drive like an ass 16/25 if u drive normal 19/28

Its RWD making it fun as far as mods there is laot you can do the gt exhaust bolts rite on u can get them for $100 if you wnated they have a 11psi procharger intercooled supercharger and vortech maks a kit..

Best mod get 3.73 gears costs arond 650-1050 w/ instilation depending on were u get parts and instalation.. Best mod ever your car will be liek a rocket off the line u will loose osme top end power

Overall its a fun car it gets looks most people dont know [censored] about cars and tihnk it costs alot more tahn it did

99 Silver frost Contour LX ztec..(RIP March 24th 2004 at 92,376 miles ) timing belt snaped goin 45 New whip 2003 Silver Mustang
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard