Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1008470 07/20/04 02:01 AM
P
Master P
OP Offline
Master P
P

On Friday I got a job offer contingent on passing a background check and drug screening. The HR lady gave me the option of taking the drug test then or today, I chose today because it was 2pm..

Took the test this morning. She called me at 4 to make sure I took it and asks me if I have any questions. Tell her I took it and no questions right now. I'm thinking that the benefits package will be explained in their written offer. Then she asks me if I'll accept their offer.. I tell her I can't because I don't know the benefits package, so she says she'll mail that along with a formal offer of employment. Then she asks again if I'll accept it. I say I can't answer because I have another interview Tuesday morning that was scheduled before she gave me the offer on Friday, so I'd like to go to that. Just being honest, ya know? The job I interview for Tuesday would pay like 30% more than this one, but is second shift and is contract-to-hire.

I tell her I'll get back to her Wednesday morning. She says she isn't sure they are willing to wait that long!! I'm unwilling to give an answer because of that interview and because I don't know what exactly the entire offer is -- salary is just one part of the overall compensation package in my book and that's all she's told me so far. She says she'll check if they can wait that long and get back to me.

5 minutes later she calls back and says they're withdrawing the offer (which, as far I knew, was salary only and no benefits) and moving on to another candidate. Oh well. If they want to pressure me in to accepting a job offer before I know what the offer is, I probably wouldn't have liked working there anyways. I think it woulda really made me look like a goon if I had accepted this one and then had to back out of it because of another offer. I suppose that's what I get for being honest.

#1008471 07/20/04 02:04 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
At least your are getting job offers. My total interview tally = 0. No one wants to hire fresh college graduates nowadays.

#1008472 07/20/04 02:05 AM
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
That sucks. I probably would have done what you did, and tell the truth. I wish you good luck with the other interview, though. Hopefully your honesty pays off in the hand and lends credence to "everything happens for a reason."

Yeah, I'm a troll... 2000 Saab 9-5 SE 2003 Dodge Neon SXT
#1008473 07/20/04 02:11 AM
P
Master P
OP Offline
Master P
P
Well, I graduated in December, and this was my first offer! Been a long, boring road.

The position tomorrow is with a contract company doing work for a pharmacuetical company. My mom's friend's husband is the head of IT for the pharmacuetical company. He was supposed to call the guy from the contract company, who works onsite at the pharm company, and put in a good word for me. Who knows.

#1008474 07/20/04 02:21 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Companies that pull that crap are not anyone you want to work for. It's harder still to turn down an offer when you've been looking for awhile but you did the right thing!
Good luck tomorrow Perry!

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
#1008475 07/20/04 02:38 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
Companies that pull that crap are not anyone you want to work for. It's harder still to turn down an offer when you've been looking for awhile but you did the right thing!
Good luck tomorrow Perry!

Exactly. You did the right thing, Perry. Seems a little shady anyways. Hopefully the next interview goes well.

#1008476 07/20/04 02:47 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
They tried to play you for 100% chump, and you didn't bite. Good for you.

I imagine you potential co-workers wouldn't have been the cream of the crop if the company works like that.

Just remember:

Code:
 pharmaceutical == Cash.get_paid_lots() 

#1008477 07/20/04 02:57 AM
P
Master P
OP Offline
Master P
P
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:
They tried to play you for 100% chump, and you didn't bite. Good for you.

That's what I figured. When I applied, via monster.com, they wanted a salary requirement in my cover letter. So I gave em a range. The low end of my range was above the high end of the range they mentioned in the interviews. The actual "offer" (sic) was the high point of their range.

The second interview was with the guy who woulda been my boss. He said he knew that their salary offering was low, but he couldn't do anything about it. I bet they had someone that would start Wednesday and work for cheap.

Quote:

I imagine you potential co-workers wouldn't have been the cream of the crop if the company works like that.

Actually, the guy who woulda been my boss was pretty cool. Laid back straight shooter. He didn't seem to candy coat anything about how the job would be, even let a few curse words slip out as he complained about some stuff when I asked him what he didn't like about the company. He seemed to know what he was talking about as we were talking shop, unlike my last boss. I think he would have been fine to work for, but the corporate environment... meh.

#1008478 07/20/04 03:10 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
Companies that pull that crap are not anyone you want to work for.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
#1008479 07/20/04 03:14 AM
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Don't let them play you P! I think you did the right thing! I go for my "second interview" Aug 12. WOOT! Been almost 6 months.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard