Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1003404 07/14/04 02:27 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I have a old German Mauser and a .45 Desert Eagle. Personally the glocks are fine as long as you use hollow point bullets.

Previous Owner of: 1998 CSVT Black # 2923/6535 Born: 08/12/97 http://community.webshots.com/user/svtcontoursvt
#1003405 07/14/04 02:39 AM
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
A shotgun is great as long as you don't have to worry about who's in the direct background (kids or whatever) I've got a Springfield Armory .45 and I love it...can't beat it for knockdown power. But, is this something your wife will also use? If so then you need to consider what is a comfprtable weapon for her. Not to be sexist but a lot of women can't deal with the recoil from a .45 and you also have to consider the grip size. .45 is a lil expensive to shoot a lot though. I would say for handgun the .40 is the best of both worlds. Just slightly less knockdown power than a .45 but it's much cheaper to shoot on a regular basis. Sig is great but if you really got the dough to shell out I prefer H&K (my 9mm is H&K and it's great) and make sure you get the tritium (I think that's the spelling) nightsights. Of course, if recoil isn't a factor and you want sure fire reliability then go with a wheel gun .357 so you don't have to worry about jamming, but most quality autos the chances are VERY slim of a jam.

Bottom line really is: As long as you are proficient and comfortable with the weapon it doesn't really matter. Any gun can kill if it's in the right hands. Look into some combat training techniques if you really want to be ready. There's an Isreali (can't remember his name) who used to run articles in Guns and Ammo and train the LAPD in different practice tehcniques that simulate combat better than just going to the range and shooting. I'm sure a net search could bring many of those techniques up.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
#1003406 07/14/04 03:12 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
hell i dont like the recoil from .45's

i'm with the other guys, get a gauge. if you're worried about collateral damage find some slightly weaker loads. foul shot will kill a man dead in his tracks at close range but not do much as far as penetrating the house/several layers of drywall etc...

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
#1003407 07/14/04 04:08 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
The best gun for defending yourself inside your house will always be a sawed-off shotgun. You want the shotgun sawed-off to make it compact so it won't impede your mobility too much. Probably should be a semi-auto vs. a pump so you don't have to concentrate on reloading the chamber. Use Buckshot rounds, not rifled slugs. You want to be able to do serious damage but balance that against the possibility that one of your shots will exit your house and penetrate a neighbor's house and cause injury to the innocent (potentially major lawsuit). The shotgun gives a wide spread so you have a better chance of hitting your target, especially if you have just woke from a deep sleep. The flash of the shotgun will briefly illuminate the room/intended target (assumes it is night time) and hopefully guide your next shot.

I've never been a fan of handguns for home defense, especially when you have just waken-up. A shotgun w/buckshot or birdshot has a much greater chance of scoring a hit than a handgun due to the spread pattern of the shotgun.

One problem with getting all worried about the situation and stocking up on weapons and ammo is if you also happen to have kids. You will have to keep everything locked-up so the kids don't get into your weapons and accidentally kill themselves or somebody else. This creates the problem of making your weaponry not rapidly deployable should they be needed in the middle of the night.

Thus, keep a big knife in close reach of your bed as a back-up.

Mr. Spindlelegs

#1003408 07/14/04 04:09 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
The other question is "how much mess do you want to have to clean up after you've rid yourself of the vermin?"

The shotguns and hollowpoints will leave one dastardly bad mess that probably won't have you on the good side of the rest of the family.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1003409 07/14/04 04:24 AM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by svtcarboy:
The other question is "how much mess do you want to have to clean up after you've rid yourself of the vermin?"

The shotguns and hollowpoints will leave one dastardly bad mess that probably won't have you on the good side of the rest of the family.

yeah, cause they'll be concerned about a mess after you've shot someone in your house.

i venture to say your immediate concern will probably be bail and contacting your attorney.

i also concur with these guys, nothing beats a shotgun for home defense, especially with buckshot. it's far less likely to go through a wall, which is a safety concern when in a home defense situation.

on the street, 10+1 9mm hydrashocks will do.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#1003410 07/14/04 05:52 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Sneaku:
A shotgun is great as long as you don't have to worry about who's in the direct background (kids or whatever) I've got a Springfield Armory .45 and I love it...can't beat it for knockdown power.

You need to worry about whats behind the wall a whole lot more with a handgun than with a shotgun. Home defense with any type of firearm is extremly dangerous, and should be considered very carfully. If something does happen, you need to have a plan. You need to account for everyone in your family and the best bet is to have them standing behind you when you fire. I know with shotguns, you can buy bird shot that will go through one wall at most. While a 9mm, 45, .357, etc will all go through many layers of walls, including your outside walls and possibly a neighbors wall. Remember, even if you life is in danger and you shoot, you will almost definately incur a lawsuit. And obviously if you hurt an innocent, you will have to deal with that bot emotionally and probably with you wallet too.

Don't get me wrong, I keep a Ruger P89 with 16 hollowpoints in my dresser drawer, so I am not anti gun by far. It's just too many people just get a gun for protection and never learn how to use it, and all the variables there are when it comes down to defending yourself. -Nick

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
#1003411 07/14/04 06:35 AM
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
Originally posted by Sneaku:
A shotgun is great as long as you don't have to worry about who's in the direct background (kids or whatever) I've got a Springfield Armory .45 and I love it...can't beat it for knockdown power.

You need to worry about whats behind the wall a whole lot more with a handgun than with a shotgun. Home defense with any type of firearm is extremly dangerous, and should be considered very carfully. If something does happen, you need to have a plan. You need to account for everyone in your family and the best bet is to have them standing behind you when you fire. I know with shotguns, you can buy bird shot that will go through one wall at most. While a 9mm, 45, .357, etc will all go through many layers of walls, including your outside walls and possibly a neighbors wall. Remember, even if you life is in danger and you shoot, you will almost definately incur a lawsuit. And obviously if you hurt an innocent, you will have to deal with that bot emotionally and probably with you wallet too.

Don't get me wrong, I keep a Ruger P89 with 16 hollowpoints in my dresser drawer, so I am not anti gun by far. It's just too many people just get a gun for protection and never learn how to use it, and all the variables there are when it comes down to defending yourself. -Nick

I know what you mean but what I was referring to was bird shot rounds and the immediate area INSIDE your home...if you have a kid standing behind the perp...etc. Obviously you ALWAYS have to consider your backdrop but a handgun doesn't spray like a shotgun and a .45 round is so big and slow moving that the likelihood of it going through someone, then a wall, then another person is pretty slim.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
#1003412 07/14/04 08:54 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
For a pretty sweet handgun check out the Glock 30 (its a .45).

'00 CSVT silver frost
#1003413 07/14/04 08:53 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by mrspindlelegs:
The best gun for defending yourself inside your house will always be a sawed-off shotgun. You want the shotgun sawed-off to make it compact so it won't impede your mobility too much.

Are you kidding? Sawed-off? Yeah, consult with your local law enforcement about THAT one. If you're really concerned about mobility, pay the tax stamp for a short barrel but then buy one manufactured for the purpose.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard