Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by patman:
Originally posted by brapple:
Both contours and cougars are available with the electric wear sensors. If your car does not have them, just hack of the wires.

contours have nothing like this, maybe the mondeo but not the contour

I have Fords parts program on my computer at work and they show two part #s, one with and one without sensor wires. And I know you are wrong because I sold two kits (when my GP was going) to people who checked and had sensor wires on there pads on SVTs. All I do is brakes....all day....everyday. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, its irritating. And by the way, some Cougars have sensor wires as well.

if I am wrong I am sorry, but i also didn't say anything about cougars, my family has four contours/mystique, and i saw and help work on the brakes of a SVT and a Cougar this past weekend, and none of these cars have a wear indicator, so by my reasoning that is correct

well both our 95's have the sport suspension light so that car must have it right, by your reasoning, it is in a book someplace, well only the mondeo did....

I do not claim to be an expert, and not everyone that works in a certain area of something everyday are experts either

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
None on any of the cars from my family either (96 mystique I4 ATX, 95 mystique V6 MTX, 98 contour SE v6 MTX, 00 contour se sport v6 MTX)

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
No Contour came with the wear sensors.
They do not even have the harness for the sensor leads.

V6 Mondeos did and some Cougars do.

Also if you Contour is breaking because of the wear sensors leads them just cut them off the BRAKES.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Both contours and cougars are available with the electric wear sensors. If your car does not have them, just hack of the wires.

I have Fords parts program on my computer at work and they show two part #s, one with and one without sensor wires. And I know you are wrong because I sold two kits (when my GP was going) to people who checked and had sensor wires on there pads on SVTs. All I do is brakes....all day....everyday. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, its irritating. And by the way, some Cougars have sensor wires as well.

OK, you don't have to hear it from one person. You can hear it from me too. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Contours and Mystiques did not have brake wear sensors. Some Cougars did. There are a lot of incorrect catalogs, including Ford's own catalogs. Ford doesn't even know when the caliper size changed on the SVT. It was much earlier than the 5/99 date in their catalog.

The Motorcraft pads I have on my car now came with sensors although Ford never used sensors on the E0 SVT. It must have been something from Europe.

So get your head out of the catalog and pay attention to those of us that have been around these cars since they were new.

You remind me of the kid that would not sell me front brake shoes for my 65 Mustang because the catalog said that they were brake pads. What he pulled off the shelf sure looked like brake shoes though.

Don't get me started on screwed up catalogs or I'll be typing the rest of the night.

(Edit) In case you couldn't guess, I had a bad day todaym Ford incorrect catalog listing issues. Sorry if I came off a bit strong.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Big Jim:

OK, you don't have to hear it from one person. You can hear it from me too. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Contours and Mystiques did not have brake wear sensors. Some Cougars did. There are a lot of incorrect catalogs, including Ford's own catalogs. Ford doesn't even know when the caliper size changed on the SVT. It was much earlier than the 5/99 date in their catalog.

The Motorcraft pads I have on my car now came with sensors although Ford never used sensors on the E0 SVT. It must have been something from Europe.

So get your head out of the catalog and pay attention to those of us that have been around these cars since they were new.

You remind me of the kid that would not sell me front brake shoes for my 65 Mustang because the catalog said that they were brake pads. What he pulled off the shelf sure looked like brake shoes though.

Don't get me started on screwed up catalogs or I'll be typing the rest of the night.

(Edit) In case you couldn't guess, I had a bad day todaym Ford incorrect catalog listing issues. Sorry if I came off a bit strong.

Then why did two people that bought the kit from my GP, that I asked this question, responded that they had sensor wires after pulling a wheel and caliper. I sell 5000 sets of pads a day and If I had a problem with the listing in my catalog, I would have heard about it in the last two years that I have been with my company.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
That is hardly proof.

The sensors don't show up in the Ford service manuals.

I've been around Contiques as a service manager or service advisor since they were introduced. I'm a "hands on" manager, spending a lot of time in the shop and getting involved with repairs of all sorts. I've taken special interest in Contours because i own one.

Except for some Cougars, the brake pad sensors don't exist on Contours in the US and probably Canada. It was used on some Mondeos. The Cougar didn't even use the whole system. Cougars only had the sensor on one front wheel and the shop manual instructs the technician to clip off the wire on the other wheel, since there is nothing to connect it to.

I suspect that you had customers that either didn't know how their car was equipped or misunderstood the question. Perhaps they though the question was about ABS sensors.

What does matter, is that Contours and Mystiques were never factory equipped with electronic brake wear sensors, and that's a fact.

Now watch, someone will come up with the one single example like the one and only documented SVT with traction control.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Pat,
The brake catalogs I use (and have seen from various vendors) are all incorrect when it comes to Contour brakes, especially SVT's as they list ALL SVT's with having the MKD762 pads which were only implemented on the E0 SVT's and a few early 98.5 E1's which used up the left over brakes from the E0 builds. From '99 to 2000 Ford reverted back to the non-SVT style pad, BUT with a larger caliper bracket to move the original non-SVT calipers out to clear the SVT size rotors. Consequently, all Cougars with V6's also use the late SVT brake setup too.

Finally - not ONE Contour or Mystique had pads wear sensors. ONLY cougars have them, and even so, they're not vital. It's a light for those oblivious drivers, who don't know to routinely check over their cars, to react to and go and change their brakes at the local dealer and get screwed out of $700 bucks.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Fine I quit

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:
It's a light for those oblivious drivers, who don't know to routinely check over their cars, to react to and go and change their brakes at the local dealer and get screwed out of $700 bucks.

Best description of that system I have ever seen!

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard