Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
are you forgetting this is a CAR message board???
if you need help with computer scams, and you insist on finding that info from a message board, go to one that's geared toward the internet and computers!

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I can see by your posts that your have discussed more than technical car matters. This matter of internet abuse was posted in a section called "Common Interests". Some of you are very quick to point out obvious things such "of course it's a scam you idiot" but then can't explain it. Can you explain to me how somebody trying to scam the CEG classified section does NOT belong on the CEG message board section titled "Common Interests". Please explain that to me. I think if you look at my past posts (although I don't have that many) you will see that I have always tried to help others including giving detailed instructions on things that I have learned (I am not a guru though). Of course, I've tried to help myself with lots of harmless questions too. What I have not done is flame people and shoot at every single thread just to drive up my post numbers. I am making several replies to this thread in hopes to discourage that behavior but I know that it will not make a difference. Some folks aren't good citizens; leave the shopping cart anywhere huh? Throw trash out your window? Play your music loud in the subdivision? Tailgater? Practice what you preach? I'll do us all a favor and not reply to any more such flames. I was ignorant for doing so in the first place.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
whoa buddy, take it easy. i said i was just messing around with you. no need to lash out on everyone.

secondly, this is discussed all the time. if you want a more detailed answer you can look around but basically they send you what looks like a real check/money order or they send you money through a fake escrow service, and you send him your car. by the time the check bounces or you realize the escrow service is fake, they have your car, and you have no money.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Geeze...I someone should've just said "search" like everyone would've liked to

1st of all:
Originally posted by techme:
Your comments?

Nobody answered with either of these comments:

"yeah stupid, it is a scam, you are dumb for asking"

"of course it's a scam you idiot"

Ranting, calling people smart-asses, insulting people...c'mon. I could see kingpin was joking, he said he was. This has been discussed almost weekly in the past year, in fact, I believe just this week. It's an old worn-out subject I'm surprised you haven't come across. Oh looky, a sampling of June scam posts alone:

6/29/04 Someone wants my car!
6/15/04 I heart scam emails
6/7/04 is this a scam?

quit

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
My SVT is for sale here in the CEG classified section, and I too got the same canned inquiry, only the perpetrators didn't bother to paste the name of the car in correctly, calling it in the body of the letter a 1955 Chevy S10. Interesting.

We all know it is a scam, but I guess every once in a million tries they actually get someone to fall for it. They send you a false check for several thousand doilars more than the asking price, requesting that you send them a check for the difference. Promises for shipping pickup look official until, of course, nothing materializes.

As warned by the header on the CEG classified banner, the listings are indeed harvested by the scammers. This is second one I've received in four days. Fortunately, the grammar is so poor that it immediately looks like what it is: a scam.

Lee K

Lee K 98 SVT Contour, silver (sold after 7 years and 100K miles) 03 Lancer Evolution, red
T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Thanks for verifying that. I saw the warning on the classified page. I was thinking that I had uncovered some new
scamming mechanism. Using perl or other quick dev tool it's quite easy to poll our CEG website and parse e-mail addresses and subjects to spam and scam us. Pity. Thanks for the friendly non-insulting reply.

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Not being entirely sure of this, I'm gonna throw it out there anyway...

I *assume* the "scanning scammers" are scanning through the e-mail addresses contained in the ad bodies themselves, not through any tables contained elsewhere on the website.

If this is correct, the easy to avoid receiving these scams is to add _nospam_ or _remove_ or similar phrases to your email address posted in the ad. Be sure to include reply instructions for the less internet savvy.

Andrew

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
First of all you smart-ass, SCAN is an english word. SCAN: to search or probe. CEG is being scanned.

Secondly, if I had meant something else, that would not be poor English, it would be a typo or spelling mistake or just that I am in a huge hurry because I am a very busy person with a real life.

Thirdly, in the future if I want smart-ass useless replies for now on I will put something in the subject such as SMARTASSES, please reply with some useless SMARTASS comment in order to drive up the total number of your posts. A newby comes up to me and needs help opening a door and I spend time to help them and don't make a fool of myself trying to point out mistakes and etc.

I can see that you have posted 1,000's in just around 1 years time but never actually ever helped anybody. That's great. We need more people like that. Good job.

First, "scan" makes alot less sense thatn "scam" in this situation.

Second, don't come on here and imply that you are the only one with a life. Some people can budget their time so they have free time to read useless posts like yours and reply to them.

Thirdly, in your first post all you say is:
Quote:

I am wondering if I should even e-mail a reply to this as they may spam or scam me (paranoid)? Even the "From" line doesn't have matching last names! Your comments? Here is the e-mail that I received:

So you got what you asked for, "comments?" Now if you had said, "I am pretty sure this is a scam, can someone please explain to me how such a scam profits the scammer?" You would have gotten an answer to that question.

And finally, you have been with us for 2 years, and have 120 posts, you are not a noob and should know how things work around here... Now go on and play nice with people from now on and there will not be anymore problems. -Nick

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
You are correct sir. Any content on the website could be scanned and we should encode no_spam or no.spam or nospam with instructions. No internal talbes are likely to be scanned. Thank you for your sincere reply.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
You are correct sir. Any content on the website could be scanned and we should encode no_spam or no.spam or nospam with instructions. No internal talbes are likely to be scanned. Thank you for your sincere reply.

Very good point... I have changed my name accordingly.

Diesel owns you
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard