Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Hi, I put my car for sale in the classifies and just received the e-mail I'll paste below. It really sounds suspicious becuase it sounds 'canned' or 'automated' and the English is very poor. I am wondering if I should even e-mail a reply to this as they may spam or scam me (paranoid)? Even the "From" line doesn't have matching last names! Your comments? Here is the e-mail that I received:

Subject: 1999Contour SE V6 auto with mods great shape
Date: Thu, July 1, 2004 7:51 pm
Priority: Normal
Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

Hello,
I saw your advert placed concerning your 1999Contour SE V6 auto with mods great
shape hereby show intrest,I will like to know the present condition and also like to
see more pictures of the vechicle,whats the mileage?,Is't diesel engine or petrol
engine, how may have you work on the body, and what's the final asking price you
wich to sell it for me,also negotiate the with my shipper for check up and pick
up beacause am buying it for a business representative
Your early responce will be highly appriciated.
Thanks
Jerry

[\i]

P
Master P
Master P
P
"shipper" + "business representative" = alarm bells

Can you paste the full header?

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Why would you even consider this legit for a second? If people are so easily tricked by this I have no pity for them losing their money.

Yes, it's a scam. Just delete and move on.

99 Silver CSVT
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by perry:
"shipper" + "business representative" = alarm bells

So true...

*** Acing Team *** --My Dead Contour-- *** Acing Team *** ----My New Ride----
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Lol, diesel engine or petrol?

If you had a V6 diesel powered Contour SE I'd buy it from you!

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by techme:
and the English is very poor.

and the title of your thread is "scan? reply to my care for sale in the classifieds?"

just bustin your balls

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Perhaps I should rephrase my question. I can see that it is not likely to be legit. I am really curious as to how it works. You see, I work for a giant company who manages several of the biggest ISPs in the world. I manage over 800 servers and thought that I have seem all of the scams. Apparently CEG website is being scanned and our e-mail address and some of the 'classifieds' fields are parsed and then spammed or scammed accordingly. It's easy to just say, "yeah stupid, it is a scam, you are dumb for asking". Now let's have somebody explain how this scam intends to take my money? I will only let go of my contour title in exchange for a cashiers check or cash to the tune of $4,200. How can I get scammed?

F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by techme:
Perhaps I should rephrase my question. I can see that it is not likely to be legit. I am really curious as to how it works. You see, I work for a giant company who manages several of the biggest ISPs in the world. I manage over 800 servers and thought that I have seem all of the scams. Apparently CEG website is being scanned and our e-mail address and some of the 'classifieds' fields are parsed and then spammed or scammed accordingly. It's easy to just say, "yeah stupid, it is a scam, you are dumb for asking". Now let's have somebody explain how this scam intends to take my money? I will only let go of my contour title in exchange for a cashiers check or cash to the tune of $4,200. How can I get scammed?

you seem to be relatively net savy since you work so often with computers.
do a nice google search and you can learn a whole ton about these scams.
These scams have been discussed multiple times here on CEG too. CEG also has a nice search feature.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
First of all you smart-ass, SCAN is an english word. SCAN: to search or probe. CEG is being scanned.

Secondly, if I had meant something else, that would not be poor English, it would be a typo or spelling mistake or just that I am in a huge hurry because I am a very busy person with a real life.

Thirdly, in the future if I want smart-ass useless replies for now on I will put something in the subject such as SMARTASSES, please reply with some useless SMARTASS comment in order to drive up the total number of your posts. A newby comes up to me and needs help opening a door and I spend time to help them and don't make a fool of myself trying to point out mistakes and etc.

I can see that you have posted 1,000's in just around 1 years time but never actually ever helped anybody. That's great. We need more people like that. Good job.

T
techme Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Thanks for all of the help. You've been a tremendous resource. I hope that I can help you some day too. Have a nice day fellows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard