Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Acnon Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Greetings Gentlemen!! I'm a noob here so please go easy on me... (a Focus guy.. )

I'm currently working on a 96' Zetec Contour. It's in need of serious rehab. One of the things I've noticed is I never hear the radiator fan come on until the temperature gauge is practically in the red... This scares me. The owner has been told by countless mechanics that "that's just the way these cars are. The engines run too hot." As a owner of a 2 Zetec powered Foci, I'm calling B.S. I'm seeing a continuous reading of 180-190 degrees thru my scan tool. In addition, the temp gauge basically stabilizes around the "L". Is the rad fan on this car 2 speed? Are these temps too high? I'm looking at doing a full flush/t-stat/hoses on this one already, but I suspect something else is seriously wrong. Any advise here is greatly appreciated.

I'm also changing the timing belt and tensioner/pulleys, as well as serpentine idler and tensioner/belt. I'm going all out on this one. should I do the water pump while I'm in there??? Any other suggested maintenance?

Thanks!!

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
If your reading 180-190 with the scan tool but the guage is is the 'L' range, then it sounds like the guage is off. Having a guage that is not reading correctly is a problem that has been reported by others. Having a Zetec that runs hot has also been reported.

The fan is 2-speed. Turn on the AC and the high will come on automatically (assuming it's working).

I'd say change the WP if you do the belt.

Last edited by fdunford; 06/25/04 07:49 PM.

96 Sport 2.0L - 190,XXX miles
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
When you do your flush and change the thermostat, put in some water wetter with the new coolant, the contours run at a fine temperature while driving down the street, but if you sit at like a stop light, or busy intersection for to long they heat up. So Water Wetter will help keep the temp down. I had the same problem, the temp wouldnt go down on its down. But if I ran the AC or heat on the lowest setting, the temp went right back in the middle to where it should be. But I didnt want to run the AC when I didnt need to as it would burn gas more and kill power. So I decided to do the thermostat, and it stays pretty cool by itself as long as I keep the car moving.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
A
Acnon Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I see.....

So basically, my wiring checks are OK. It's the ECU not turning the low-speed fan on with the vehicle stopped that's freaking me out. The fact that the temp gauge is off doesn't help. Thanks for the tips! (Got a bottle of Water-Wetter handy actually...)

So what's the possibility the temp sensor may be damaged? My only concern now is it's reporting the wrong temp. maybe? I dunno. Guess I'll take care of the physical engine stuff and coolant before going further into the electrical.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm hittin' the garage later today...

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
No problem with the suggestion, im still new to the contours and still learning myself, so it was nice to be able to help someone out with something I had experianced.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
I usually dont hear my fan kick on until about 210 or so. Before my guages were installed it also read hot. After the guages were installed, I found out that 'L' on my car was 195.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard