Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#982420 06/17/04 02:00 AM
K
KTPdave Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
So this girl at work tells me that her car is making funny noises. I drive it and the pads are metal on metal. I tell her this and order new rotors and pads. I've changed brakes on numerous cars and it's quite easy and takes me about an hour to do the fronts on every other car I have done. I rip everything off and the rotor will not come off. This is an '01 Cougar. It has 50,000 miles with original brakes. The rotors is rusted/melted/welded(?) onto the hub. I soak it in PB Blaster for 2 days everywhere. I try with a hammer, a sledge, crowbar, blow torch, you name it....all I get off are chunks of the rotor with the sledge. I decide to undo the spindle nut. I pound on the rotor some more and the entire hub comes off as expected. I look closer at it and it is totally rusted on there. It's not coming off.

I am debating if I should get new hubs or try to have a shop press them off the crappy rotors? I need to get the bearings pressed as well now plus they are totally dry.

My question is....do you think I should get new hubs or try to get the old ones out?
I need to get the bearings repacked and pressed....what do I need to replace? Seals? Bearings? What? Can I use the old bearings? I need a list.

I just sold my SVT Contour and I gave the guy my Haines so I am SOL...any help is appreciated. I'll take some pics tomorrow!!!!

'04 Cobra Convertable!!
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
If the bearing were 'dry' when you took them off, then you should replace the whole works. Bearings and seals should run you LESS then 20 bucks. I don't know about how much the hubs cost. For that all to be stuck on there that bad, something got REALLY hot.

I have done virginal brake jobs on cars with 75k, 100k, and 125(!!!!)k. Sometimes they are a little bit rough, but NEVER that bad. Replace the works, if for nothing else but safety.

BTW, you SHOULD do both sides.

-------------------------------------------- Matt
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I agree...don't skimp when it comes to brakes.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
And when you install the new hubs and rotors, apply anti-sieze to the surface where they mate as well as to the surface where the rotor mates to the wheels. Next time the rotors will come off much easier.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
My dad once replaced the pads and shoes on my 81 Cougar. He didn't route the wires in the rear drums correctly and the non-functioning rear brakes caused the crappy front pads to wear out in a manner of weeks. So I redid the front rotors and fixed what Dad screwed up on the rears and never let my dad work on a critical car component again.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
congratulations

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by patman:
congratulations

I am really not in the mood right now. [censored] off.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
LMAO!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Beowulf:
Originally posted by patman:
congratulations

I am really not in the mood right now. [censored] off.

calm down homie!

99' SVT #811 of 2760 Born on january, 12, 1999. "This may have been his only shot at number one, but he just sucks on so many levels that I couldnā??t even let him win a contest of suckiness."
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i used some antiseize behind my wheels and up againt the rotor hub and will never again. as the wheel spins the antiseize is spun to the edge and kicked out onto the wheel. didnt look good.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard