Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Hi guys,
I just noticed, within the last two weeks, a rattling noise coming from somewhere in the engine of my 98 SE. It only appears to happen when I step on the gas (accelerate) which makes me believe it has something to do with the TB. I did replace the stock intake system with a complete SVT intake system (from fenderwell to TB). I thought that it may be a bad PCV valve, but have no clue why that would make a loud rattling noise when you accelerate. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! I'd love to fix this annoying problem as soon as possible and pray that someone has had this problem in the past and knows exactly how to fix it. Thanks!!!

1997 Contour Sport ATX Zetec/2.0 liter 1998 Contour SE ATX Duratec/2.5 liter
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Sound like it could maybe be the valves?? You might have gotten some crappy gas. Try a tank of premium to see if the noises go away. Double check your coolant level too. Just to be sure you're not running on the dry side.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by TourGuide97:
Hi guys,
I just noticed, within the last two weeks, a rattling noise coming from somewhere in the engine of my 98 SE. It only appears to happen when I step on the gas (accelerate) which makes me believe it has something to do with the TB. I did replace the stock intake system with a complete SVT intake system (from fenderwell to TB). I thought that it may be a bad PCV valve, but have no clue why that would make a loud rattling noise when you accelerate. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! I'd love to fix this annoying problem as soon as possible and pray that someone has had this problem in the past and knows exactly how to fix it. Thanks!!!

My car has what was sort of rattle on acceleration, dickfaces at Pep Boys messed up the serpentine belt installation, and one of the pulleys rattled cause their dumbazz didnt put the new belt on right.

Just a though, might be one of your pulleys is loose.

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Could this be caused by a faulty PCV Valve? I replaced the original plastic Ford one a few months ago with an aftermarket metal one (Deutsch?). I'm wondering if the metal PCV valve is not working properly which is why Ford used a plastic one. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
i have a deustch (sp?) PCV and have had no problems.

Last edited by Stryker; 06/22/04 12:09 AM.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Stryker:
i have a deustch (sp?) PCV and have had no problems.

I'm talking about the PCV on my Duratec, not Zetec. Sorry for the confusion.

S
S
i know, jut sayig that i dont believe the PCV valve is the problem...did you loosen something to get to it (if you even had to) and then forget to tighten it again?

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I checked everything in that general area and nothing seemed to be loose. I just thought that maybe there was a reason why Ford used a plastic valve and not a metal one. My thought is that the metal valve is rattling when the air stream goes thru it causing the noise. I really have no clue. I also pulled off the accordian tube going to the TB and couldn't see anything loose in there either. The two screws holding the TB on were tight as well. I just really want this annoying noise to go away! Thanks for all your help and advice!!!

K
K
My 98 SVT had the same problem 6 months ago and I took it in to the service dept at a local dealership and the 6th cylinder was gummed up, had lost compression and I eventually ended up blowing a rod! I hope this isn't the same for you car! But I'd have it looked at definately!

KelliSVT

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by TourGuide97:
Could this be caused by a faulty PCV Valve? I replaced the original plastic Ford one a few months ago with an aftermarket metal one (Deutsch?). I'm wondering if the metal PCV valve is not working properly which is why Ford used a plastic one. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

The Ford PCV valve is preferable simply because it is less likely to hang up internally.

Have someone ride with you that is famillier with pinging.
A lean condition or EGR problem can cause pinging on acceleration. High octane gas will lessen pinging but of course the problem causing it should be corrected.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard