Print Thread
#880871 02/23/04 05:34 PM
B
Booger Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I just got my contour in Oct. and it has developed a fuel system glitch from what I can tell so far. As the tank gets low, 2/3 down the zero, the car develops a problem at 1/2+ throttle. When I punch it the car starts to die out like its not getting anymore fuel. I dropped the tank thinking there was a blockage of some sort that only happens at low fuel conditions but found nothing in the physical inspection. My next course of action I think would be to replace the pump due to it leaking perhaps. Could this be a pressure regulator problem or some type of sensor? I am reasonably knowledgeable in auto mechanics, I'm just befuddled on this be cause on a full tank it just takes off when I get on it. BTW it is a '99 SE Sport 2.5L 5-sp with just over 40K but has been doing it for about 3K. I currently live in Flint, MI if anyone in the area thinks a personal inspection would help.

Thanks,

#880872 02/23/04 05:39 PM
B
Booger Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Note to previous post. I don't think the IMRC problem is relavent because it will accelerate past 4000 if not pushed past full throttle and it only happens on a less than full tank.

#880873 02/23/04 06:32 PM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
As you mentioned, this is most likely a pump issue. Sounds like your pump is starting to wear out. There is a howto on changing a returnless pump without dropping the tank here:

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=39

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#880874 02/23/04 06:46 PM
B
Booger Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Thanks, I should be able to do that no prob. I'm pretty sure from what I remember the pump is returnless. I checked on pump prices and was seeing OEM stuff at the local parts stores for aroune $100, is there a longer lasting performance pump that would be more worth the money, time, and effort. I don't really want to do this every 40K

#880875 02/23/04 07:02 PM
H
H
I've never had to replace a pump myself, but I've seen recommendations for Walbro pumps. That might be overkill, though.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#880876 02/23/04 08:29 PM
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
Booger,
Your in luck! This fix is free, but a pain in the a$$. The problem is the circular filter on your fuel pump sump assembly is clogged. You simply need to remove it and throw it out. The problem, is getting to it. When Ford went to the returnless system they did not increase the size of the hole under your seat. As a result you can disconnect the electrical connections, and fuel lines, but you can not remove the pump through it. I ended up carefully, I repreat CAREFULLY enlarging the hole. Or you could drop the tank (good luck with that!)

I cut out a square about, I'm guessing 10" by 10", under the seat and removed the pump sump assembly through it. As you will see when you get it out the fuel pump itself has another sock type filter on it. I did this fix last summer. At the time there were no individual parts available, I had to purchase the whole assemble. If you do replace the whole thing, the circular filter will clog in about 30,000 mile. I've had no problems since the fix. Good luck.

Nick P

#880877 02/23/04 08:33 PM
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
One last thing. The circular filter looked ok visually when I took mine apart, but it was the only change I made. It fixed the problem. It islocated at the bottom of the sump assembly.

#880878 02/23/04 10:41 PM
B
Booger Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
when I took mine off the round screen fell off the assembly. I guess I should have taken that as a sign. How long have you had the screen out? Is there any worry of debris getting into the pump now that it isn't there? When I dropped the tank before I did somewhat enlarge the hole, just not really with careful intention or a shape in mind. This brings up a bit of a rant for another forum. Why are cars only engineered to run and not to be worked on? Do an oil change on a 4wd Subaru Justy and you'll understand.

#880879 02/23/04 11:04 PM
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
I took the screen out at around 55,000 miles, I'd have to check my records. I have 80,000 now. I purchased the car used with around 28,000. It was Ford certified. There was evidence (electrical tape on wire harness, and chisel marks on the pump ring) that the pump had been repalced once before. My research in this forum, as well as personal experiance leaves me to believe that the screens clog around 30,000 miles. There is an additional "sock" type filter on the fuel pump inlet that will keep it in working order.

Good Luck, at least the fix is cheap.

Nick P

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard