Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
ok everyone heres the thing,

I just lost my job again (its something of a monthly ritual now) anyway all my life i have been told and i have been telling others that i am going to get a trade and wow things will be great. Well after trying almost every trade out there i am getting scared or wise and begining to thik that maybe this isnt for me.

Here is my dilema,
I have been thinking of this for a while now but due to my lack of anything i dont even know where to start. I want to get into the one thing aside from mechanical work that i am good at. Computers. I am thinking of a few paths to take but i dont think i fully understand what they are all about and how my life would fit each one. Here they are

1)software engineer
2)network engineer or designer or whatever you want to call it
3)web designer (e commerce)
4)Mechanical draftsman

Im not too sure what each career has to offer in terms of pay and even some acutal duties, jobs avail. and so on....

Could anyone who has any background in any of these please please give me some insight to them, what skills do i need where is the best place to learn, how much money is common.and stuff like that.

I am feeling really lost right now and it is an aweful feeling. I have made some pretty bad choices before and i would really hate to waste anymore time and make antoher one. I am 24 now and really want to get my life moving and i just need some help to point me in the best direction.
I know that you dont know me and pointing me is kinda hard, but any advice, pros and cons will really help me in making a decision.
Thanks so much everyone
John

Works on contingency, no money down.....oh wait let me change a few things....Works on Contingency? NO, Money Down!!!! 98 Se in the works.... Looking for, 18'rs-6 or RS-5's SVT rear FOUND!!! SVT front (thanks SVTCuervo)
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
I can't really offer much advice in the details of the field you have mentioned. But what I can say is that if it's something you really want to do, pay should not be too much of a worry, since I believe if you really want to do it, you'll enjoy it, and the pay will come naturally. What I mean by that is get into what you think may be your field, and if you really like it you can eventually make a lot of money doing it.

F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Well I'm no expert here but I would shy from software engineer as I believe most of those jobs are being moved overseas. Seems like this is a pretty bad time to want to go into computer related jobs because of that very reason. My cousin is into networking in southern cali and he makes good money...I would say networking is probably your safest bet because no matter what jobs they move overseas they will always need someone to maintain the networks in the US. Webdesign is fun but I don't think you will make a whole lot of money in it unless you get lucky or are just extremely good at it. Anyway, like I said I'm no expert but judging from what I've read form IT guys on here, in the paper and from what my cousin tells me that's what I know. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
IT market is kinda lousy right now. If you want to be a software engineer you don't want to work for somebody else only to be downsized later.

I'd say look around you and figure if a computer can help save money in a local business. For example, if a bit of manual entry can save on CPA fees for a small business, with a computer investment, then they may go for it. Or if tracking sales better can improve sales, etc.

I'd say get into a small business, but it's hard to get the right idea. I've been unemployed long enough I'm no longer sure my skills are up-to-date...

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
hey everyone thanks for replying. keep those suggestions comming though. I really am thankful for everyone who has taken the time so far to reply.

Aso for schools, if i were to go into networking, what kind of schooling am i looking at. thanks again,
john

Works on contingency, no money down.....oh wait let me change a few things....Works on Contingency? NO, Money Down!!!! 98 Se in the works.... Looking for, 18'rs-6 or RS-5's SVT rear FOUND!!! SVT front (thanks SVTCuervo)
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I would suggest you contact a guidance councellor at the prospective schools & querry them about the market & pay for those specialties. That will get you some general info. You may also wish to ask them about the free-lance market. There are many small to mid sized companies that will be HAPPY to contract out some work & not have to worry about adding somebody to the payroll. A couple of nice gigs & you're set in spades!

In addition to my day job, I did free-lance AUTOCAD work for several years. It was a nice boon to the single paycheck household & allowed me to buy a house & send my wife & daughter to college. Now I'm gettin' into the mortgage business on the side which I expect will bring in six figures if I play my cards right. At that point I'll ditch the day job.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
Go to the military!

"God Got a Good One" 1982-2004 I love you JLM!

Link Copied to Clipboard