Print Thread
#708829 07/31/03 08:35 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I searched 1st...

Can anyone tell me where the Air Bypass Valve is and what it does for your car. In this case a'98 CSVT.

Thanx much...

Reason asking is, after much effort (replacing the upstream biatch o2 sensor) and cleaning the MAF, the CEL that I have had would not go away. Getting both banks lean on the ODB II.

Considering my inspection sticker expired in April, and came up "untestable" when I tried to get it inspected after I changed the o2 sensor, I threw in the towel and took the car to an SVT dealership this am.

Verdict is a new MAF, new Air Bypass Valve, reprogram PCM.

Never heard of the Air Bypass Valve before...

Thanx for the info though!

'98 SVT Contour #897:Mods= Intake, exhaust, suspension, & aesthetics www.community.webshots.com/user/rob98csvt897.
#708830 07/31/03 09:52 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I would imagine the "bypass" valve is the IAC. Just my opinion though, don't take it as truth.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
#708831 08/01/03 01:04 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
no, the bypass valve is not the IAC. All I can find in the Haynes manual is....
The base idle speed is set in production by means of an air bypass screw (located in the front right hand corner of the TB)which controls the amount of air that is allowed to pass through a bypass stage, past the throttle valve when it is fully closed in idle position; the screw is then sealed with a white tamperproof plug. In service, the idle is controlled by the PCM.....the plug should not be altered, if it is altered it should be replaced with a blue tamperproof plug and let run for 5 minutes to let the PCM relearn the idle values.
Hope this helps a little.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard