Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M

I have a about a thousand miles until my next oil change, so I'm getting mentally prepared for a UIM/LIM TB, plugs & wires maintenance and cleaning extravaganza. I almost did it last oil change, but I wimped out.

I've spent hours looking over all the searches, and I've studied the "howto." I have all the gaskets I need, but I have a few final questions before I participate in this CEG'er rite of passage.

1.) So let me get this straight-I need two O-rings *per* injector?

2.) I have a '98 EO SVT. Do I need the IMRC linkage grommets or not?

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
First off, i just removed my manifolds a couple weeks ago. My guess is that you will need the IMRC grommets replaced, as they are pretty old and difficult to take off without breaking. Also, the how-to did not mention anything about taking off the fuel lines that are attached to the LIM. I had to cut mine: Later i found out that they used some kind of heat shrink tubing and would never pull apart, no matter how much I worked on them. You are smart for gathering all of the needed gaskets ahead of time. I recommend changing the PCV valve and maybe even the water pump if yours is the one with the plastic impeller.

1998 SVT
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Uh-oh...I never saw anything about cutting fuel lines. I think that's getting beyond the realm of my expertise.

I've done the PCV without removing anything, to be honest with you. It took a while to find out where it actually was, but when I found it, replacement was a cinch.

And speaking of CEG'er rites of passage, my wp crapped out in March, and the new unit has a metal impellar.

Sheesh-I'm starting to have second thoughts about cleaning the LIM, if I'm going to have to cut a fuel line.

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
i dont' think u have to cut it, i'm in the process of doing mine right now and i dont' think the howto says anything about that.

Black E0 SVT
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Let me know how you get the fuel lines off the LIM. This will be valuable for future reference.

1998 SVT
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Baby SHO:
Let me know how you get the fuel lines off the LIM. This will be valuable for future reference.

Spring lock disconnect tool.

You can buy a set of them (all sizes) at Autozone for $10.

Simply click over the line and pull it off.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thanks. I was looking for an excuse to go to Autozone.

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I used a set like this one to disconnect the fuel lines:

El Inexpensivo Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set (for visual reference only)

1 - Relieve pressure from fuel system at Schrader valve
2 - Remove the safety clips from the (2) in-line connectors
3 - Slip the appropriate sized tool over the in-line conn (there're 2 different sizes)
4 - Push tool sleeve into spring lock
5 - Separate in-line fuel connector
6 - Wipe splashed fuel from hands, face & eyes (J/K)

Takes less than a minute to disconnect them both.

To reassemble, slip the connectors together and push until the spring snaps around the flare on the female end.

I saw an MPEG posted by somebody showing the disconnect procedure, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Last edited by KurtD; 07/13/03 07:21 PM.

'95 Contour SE, MTX, Champagne '03 EB Expedition, Med Wedgewood Blue
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
You don't NEED to remove the fuel rail from the car... the LIM will come out just fine once you unbolt the rail from it. It's not rocket science...

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
You don't NEED to remove the fuel rail from the car... the LIM will come out just fine once you unbolt the rail from it. It's not rocket science...

-Lance

lance is completely right. once you unbolt the fuel rail, you can just move it out of the way and take the lower off.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard