Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
As my sig says, I have a 00 CSVT. It is obviousley black. I am thinking of removing the door ding guards but I am afraid the paint will be faded around them compared to under the guards.

What does everyone think? I would hate to pull them off to notice a difference in the paint and then be stuck with it like that.

O3

Parts theory: "Run them til you bust them, and then upgrade" 2000 Svt Black/Tan H&R Springs B&M Short Throw Intake w/K&N
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
When I removed mine, the paint under two of the doors on one side was a different color, and the other side was fine.

So I got 2 of the doors painted, cause it looks sooo much nicer dingless.

But granted my car is a very late 98 (Silver) so it has been exposed more then yours, but the fact that your car is black could change that.

I would say take then off and if you don't like to color/look put some new ones on. Or you could just pull up the end of the strip, but it's hard to get a good idea that way.

Good Luck!

Bridge

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
Thanks Bridge.

Anyone else have any experiences or would like to share their .02?

Parts theory: "Run them til you bust them, and then upgrade" 2000 Svt Black/Tan H&R Springs B&M Short Throw Intake w/K&N
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Bridge:
When I removed mine, the paint under two of the doors on one side was a different color, and the other side was fine.

Still waiting to be painted, I can live with a little change in color that no one has pointed out yet. I would also say go for it, much cleaner look.

98.5 CSVT
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
yeah i did mine on my 99(a year older) and they all turned out good except for my driver door it wasn't so much the paint, it was my clear coat was flaking off i took it to a body shop and they buffed it up as much as they could.

it didin't turn out perfect but looks better then it did, it will hold me over till i get it painted

99 atx SE 75shot NX ngk plugs taylor wires injen intake superchip custom cat-back tsudo exhaust ground control coilovers kyb struts 18in RH-C5 svt bumper
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
As long as your car has never been repainted before you should be fine. I did my 1999 and it looks normal, waxed it and it cvame out beautiful.

The only time conduming thins is removing the excess tape. Use a large square eraser to remove it, its the simplest and safest way i found.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
Roz-
What color is your car? How long ago did you do it?

Thanks

Last edited by OutOfOrder; 06/04/03 01:55 PM.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
My car is black and i did it a few months ago....I just finished removing the extra sticky tape a few weeks ago...Earaser does wonders.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
C
C
I just did my '98.5 Contour (Cabernet Red) on the weekend.

Everything went ok, no differences under the ding guards. Wash & Wax and it looked ok.

Everything except for the callouses on my fingers from rubbing the damn tape off! -- I used WD40, soaked it on for about 20 minutes, peeled off the door guard, re-soaked the tape, and started rubbing it off with a clean towel.

I'd recommend making sure all the dirt is cleaned out from the edges around the door guard thorougly.

'98.5 Contour SE/Touring V6/MTX, Cabernet Red Pioneer Audio, KKM, SVT Exhaust (soon) '97 Mystique V6/MTX - RIP Nov. 2000
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
This has been said before, but the easiest way is to let it sit in the sun for awhile, pull out at an angle and go slow, everything came off clean, hardly any residue left.

98.5 CSVT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard