Page 1 of 2 1 2
#603405 04/14/03 05:47 PM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm having a problem where my fans won't kick on. I found that the 60A fuse was blown, so I replaced it and they still don't work (yes the new fuse remains unblown). I've tried to get them to kick on by turning the AC to max, but they just sit there.

What would be the best place to start to find what's wrong? I don't have too much auto electrical experiance besides hooking up alarms and stereo equipment, but I can learn.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
with the engine off and the ignition off reach in and try turning the fans by hand and make sure they turn freely.

Take a look at the wires going to the fans to make sure the insulation on the wires is in good condition and not shorting out on something.

Then try disconnecting the wire connectors at the fans and make a connection with some wires to the side of the connector that leads to the fan, connect the other end of the wire to a 12 volt source like the battery. That will determine if the fans are working.

If the fans work when connected with the jumper wires to a 12 volt source then the next place to look is the fan control relay which is probably inside the power distribution box under the hood.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Cool, sounds very doable.......

I'll post the results.......

Thanks!

-Daymon

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Fans are freely moving, but didn't respond to the jumper wire test. All the wires look like they are in good shape and not shorting out on anything.

I'm wondering if I need to get any type of tester to make sure the wiring harness is at fault? Also it'd come into handy to see if my jumper wire was even hot and if my ground was good. (I loosened the terminal on the + and - of the battery and ran a wire from each, then tightened back down)

What should I do next?

TIA,
Daymon

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
if you ran wires from the battery to the fans and they do not work then the fans are bad(probably the wiring close to the fans, cant picuture two fans going out at the same time.. take the fan off and see if you can get closer to the fan(with the jumper wires to get them going)..... and when you have the fans disconneted then you put a voltmeter on the leads and put the a/c on and see if you get voltage as you are suppose to as the fans get juice all the time with the a/c on thats what lets them run.....

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Box next to the battery has a relay in it that selects the fan(s) and controls the speed of them; maybe it is bad?? If you have the diagram, you can jump it out. I wouldn't jump it if you don't know what pin goes to the motor and which one the EEC picks.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
sounds like a radiator fan motor, dont let it get hot!

S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
OK, had better luck with the fan motors this time around with the jump wire. They both work and the wiring harness apears to be in good shape. I plugged everything back in and double checked that the high and low speed relays were pushed all the way in and the fuse is still good.

They still don't turn on with the AC on or if the car heats up! How likely is it that BOTH relays burned out? Should both fans kick on with the AC on, or just one?

H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
I have a resistor block on the left lower corner of the radiator some cars have it some don't, it was blown and the high speed fan did not work on mine

S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah, I have that as well............hmmmmmm......... I wonder if I should just replace the resistor and both relays?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard