Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Yesterday while I was trying to drive home from work in that freak snow storm my car was desperately trying to get traction. During this time, the CEL came on. So... I have heard that if a problem occurs, even for just an instant, the CEL will come on until it is reset, even if there is no problem anymore. If I reset the light and there is still a problem, can I assume that it will come back on? And on the same note, if it does not come back on, can I assume that there is no real problem requiring attention?

FWIW, I also changed my oil about 500 miles ago...

Thanks for lookin'

'98 T-Red SVT #4290
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Go to Autozone and have the code pulled! I was driving and my light came on with no noticeable difference in performance! I checked the gas cap just to be sure and it appeared fine! The code came on Sunday and Wednesday I was going to Autozone but that morning it went off! I went to my friend's garage on the weekend and try to pull a code but none existed!

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I would also try to get the code pulled first. Once you get the code, you can reset it and see if it comes back on. At least this way, you will have an idea what it was and get a heads up if something is starting to go bad.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
You gotta get the code first so you can see what you got. Take everyones advice and go to Autozone to get it checked for free

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Ok, I got the code.
It's P0420 which is "CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD (BANK 1)"

He reset it, and its still off, which I assume is a good thing. If it comes on again, is this a problem that is making my car not good to drive, or is it exactly what it sounds like (catalytic converter is going bad)? If it stays off, then I'm good to go, right?

'98 T-Red SVT #4290
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Well, your car is safe to drive,
maybe you can get a recall to replace the precats for free at the dealer,
or maybe just get rid off the precats and use mils eliminators,
both options work,
of course in case that the same code comes back, (that will probably do)

1998 Contour V6 2.5L ATX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard