Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Ok, so today i go out to my car and one of my tires is flat as a pancake. Ok, no big deal because this just gives me an excuse to get 4 new tires which i wanted to do anyways. But I need advice. Like i said I know nothing about tires. The tires I buy will be for all seasons all the time, I don't autocross, or drag (except the occassional stoplight, but we're not supposed to talk about that here), but I didn't buy an SVT to drive it like a grandma, I do love to get on it once in a while and embarass a ricer so I need traction, which I don't have much of right now, especially when it's wet. I plan on just going to like belle tire or discount tire or something. But I want some advice before I go, so if you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears, oh and price isn't toooooooo much of a concern, as long as it's reasonable.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Check out Tirerack.com if you haven't already.. They have a very nice "rate your needs" feature. (traction, cost, and treadware(I believe)

Insert your size, optimum price, and rate those three least to most, and you got a list of options..

HTH
Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
A good place to start is the BFG KDWS. This tire looks good to start with, no little "ribs" around the sidewall and is a good performer year round. Also the tire is speed rated, but I'm not sure what the rating is, maybe "H", which is 130 mph. I was talking to KevDogg here in the SE MI CEG and those tires in the P225/50/16 are $580 including mounting/balancing/road hazard insurance and were from Discount Tire. Another brand to check out is the Nitto Extreme 450. At $482 in the same size its a good tire thats all season and is "Z" speed rated. Check out www.tirerack.com for comparison sake but remember if you buy from a local tire place like Discount Tire they'll stand behind your tire if you have any problems and you can take it right there to be fixed or replaced...buy the insurance especially here in MI

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Luke @ Tirerack says he would only use a Dunlop SP5000 if he had to buy an all-season. I'd probably go with the Sumitomo HTR+. I have a different Sumitomo tire one one of my cars and I think it does very well on dry, rain, and 3-4 inches of snow - and it is a summer tire. An all-season should be even better, right?

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Bridgestone potenza re 950's

my .02 cents
-fd

1995 Contour SE V6 5 spd
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
The Dunlop SP 5000s are a great all year tire. Excellent dry road grip & feel. Also excellent in both wet and snow. And at $100 a pop...peretty reasonably priced for a Z rated tire.

My only issue with the tire is that the ones I bought wore out after like 12,000 miles. Granted I am a bit of a nut behind the wheel most times...but 12k miles?

Like a fool though, I'll be buying 4 more in a few weeks. They are the only true ultra-high performance all season tire at a reasonable price.

Just my $.02

Originally posted by APT CSVT:
Luke @ Tirerack says he would only use a Dunlop SP5000 if he had to buy an all-season. I'd probably go with the Sumitomo HTR+. I have a different Sumitomo tire one one of my cars and I think it does very well on dry, rain, and 3-4 inches of snow - and it is a summer tire. An all-season should be even better, right?

'98 SVT Contour #897:Mods= Intake, exhaust, suspension, & aesthetics www.community.webshots.com/user/rob98csvt897.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Toyo Proxes T1-S

MAD GRIP!!!

Eric

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Well, I went with the KDWS 225/50/16, tho they are ordering them for me and they will be in wed. morning. I went to Discount Tire first and the guy was a complete A$$hole, first he quotes me like $180 a tire and i'm thinking yea right buddy, and so i tell him i'm going to go shop around and he's like "Why? we garuntee the lowest price." and I told him well, i'm still gonna shop around and he's like "What are you shopping around for? I told you we have the lowest price." So then i basically just walked out, drove a half mile down the road to Belle tire and he quotes me like $130 soemthing a tire and was a nice guy, but i remembered a guy i know works at another belle tire, like a 10minute drive but i figure i will see if he's working, i go there he is and quotes me 120 a tire and with the warranty ($10 a tire) and tax, it's $551.20 out the door. so that's where I'm going. And, my mom just showed me a 10% Belle tire coupon, so i'm gonna see if i can use that on wed. and hopefully it will be closer to $500. Ok this is really long. just wanted to follow up on my post.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
try www.tires.com, free shipping and pretty good prices??? i need new ones too, 78,000 on originals...belive it or not

export the imports
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Pep Boys has a large selection of Futura tires (Cooper) and the prices are a lot cheaper than most places!!! Go with either h or z rating

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard