Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#526047 01/18/03 07:24 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
With ~124k miles on my '96 my main cat is shot (according to my CEL) This puts me into a bit of a dillema. I got a dual exaust from a SVT I am waiting to put on, but I don't know if it's worth it with the cat in it's current status. I can't get my local shop to touch the cat (no suprise there) and I don't have access to a welder. I was thinking about getting a sho-shop catless y-pipe but that seems like a bit of wasted money when I could just chop mine off and hacksaw some straight pipe in it's place. Plus I heard the SHO-shop pipe has some heat issues.

I was wondering those without the main cat, how did you get that way?

-Pete

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
My car hs no cats at all due to the sho-shop Y pipe and MSDS headers. I would suggest going to a muffler shop that you trust really well and tell them that you want a pipe made that will directly bolt into the piece where the cat is and tell them that it is for when you go to the track, because as far as I know they can do that for you as long as they are not the ones that are removing it. I was going to go with that method but the I decided to go with the Sho pipe.I haven't had any trouble with the Y pipe. Is there something that I need to worry about? I haven't heard of any issues.

98 SVT 18" Enkei RS6's, NITTO 555 Extremes Intrax lowering springs K&N filter Sho-Shop Y pipe (without cats) Stock "gutted" manifolds Carbon Fiber Cowl hood Carbon fiber sail panels
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I took it of myself with a hacksaw. clamped a peice in there temporarily, and took it to a shop to get welded up. I was ready with an excuse if he asked where my maincat was. I was going to tell him the cats are built into the exhasut manifolds (point to the precats) and the wasn't another cat. He never asked though. It wasn't a stock cat that I took out, it was the sho-shop one. Not sure if you can cut the stock one out and clamp a pipe in there. Never done it

Good Luck!

Simon new- '04 Dodge Dakota 4x4. V8, 5spd FOR SALE Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)- SOLD! New project-'88 Ranger 302 swap.
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Why all the hassle most speed shops here in the UK sell cat replacment pipes off the shelf ready to bolt on for around £80 That is what mine cost.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
O2's only check the health of the pre-cats - and gutting them wont make the cel go away.

--edit--

Sorry I always think V6, zetec O2 will check main cat, but again gutting it will not turn off the cel

Last edited by ScottK; 01/18/03 06:20 PM.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by ScottK:
O2's only check the health of the pre-cats - and gutting them wont make the cel go away.

--edit--

Sorry I always think V6, zetec O2 will check main cat, but again gutting it will not turn off the cel

I know it won't turn off the CEL but I figure if I have to look at the CEL I should at least get the extra 2-3hp from not having the cat at all.

-Pete

S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by Pete D:
Originally posted by ScottK:

--edit--

I know it won't turn off the CEL but I figure if I have to look at the CEL I should at least get the extra 2-3hp from not having the cat at all.

-Pete

You are losing power with the CEL on. I have the dynos to prove it as well. IIRC, I lost 13hp and 8lb/ft torque. Also, how do the O2 sensor check the secondary (underboy) CAT? My O2s aren't after it, but before it. They primarily measure after the main (exhaust manifolds) cats. I too have gutted my secondary CAT as it was so clogged, the car would start to stall. Once gutted, the car was able to exhale again and some power was freed up. I know that I am making all of the power I could as the shell of the CAT is causing unwanted turbulence with the exhaust.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
from what several mechanics have told me, there is a CEL for "main cat inefeciancy" (sp)

L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
No such thing... there is no O2 sensor behind the main cat to measure it's efficiency.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
My car is catless, I don't like cat. There is no kitten or the big fat cat, absolutely no cat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard