Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I found this and am wondering if anyone has any info on these filters, they sya they make one for the CD4E, so I am VERY curious how they do that....

Looks like an add-on internal filter, can anyone confirm this?

Click Here

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
They make replacement/OEM filters for industry. They replace existing filters, and are not some add-on. Just like Purolator or Fram make replacement oil filters.
The CD4E already has the filter pictured, but is only accessable by some amount of transmission disassembly.

Dan B. 96 SE 2.5 auto
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
This would be a good replacement for the internal SCREEN, since this filter
is not just a screen, but a polyester fiber filter.
It would be nice to have one of these handy, if your transmission was being rebuilt.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
In my research, I found a reference to a TSB service tip for 1994 Probe GT with CD4E transmission, the tip is called
"AUG 94 19. CD4E Forward Clutch Circuit Filter Service Tip"

Was wondering if anyone could get their hands on the TSB and let us know what it says about the filtering.

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I have found a page on that site that is VERY VERY interesting!! Here is a quick quote:

"After six months of working alternative design configurations for the CD4E Transmission Sump Filter, Filtertek developed a filter design solution that eliminated the early wear out problem. The improvement results were significant with the overall achievement of extending the transmission integrity to well beyond the limit of the vehicle warranty. There was a 400% improvement in filter integrity at 150,000 miles and increased reliability from 72% to 99.5% at 150,000 miles.
"

Sounds like we need to get ahold of this company and find out how to get these filters in our trannies.

Here is a link to the full article:

LINK

CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
BTW, I found out the magnefine is OE approved for all ATX.

Now, If I just knew where to get one.... ???

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
"Under high mileage aggressive driving conditions, particularly in European model cars,
vehicles were experiencing forward and direct clutch cylinder bushing failures
on vehicles equipped with CD4E transmissions.
The root cause of the problem was determined to be
inadequate flow of transmission fluid under high-speed conditions."

hmmm.....

Do you think that is why TWO of my CD4Es failed ?

The FAILURE begins with the transmission overheating during highway driving.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
FWIW, you may want to check the 'flow' specs thru the oil cooler lines before fitting an 'in-line' or any other filter to the CD4E.Restricing these lines below flow spec (blocked 'add-on' filter etc) could do more harm than good.....

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C

So since a filter would restrict flow
a filter is not for aggressive driving styles but better suited for crusiers.

THe question that is begging to be asked is should a pump be added to increase the flow pressure of oil thru the ATX.

so to improve and extend ATX life without changing driving habits one must add a cooler, filter, and addition pump to increase flow pressure.

Where will all these parts go.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The ATX has a pump,as do all autos...adding an extra pump could mess up the line pressures as the pump in the trans does send oil via the stoc cooler....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard