B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Hi all,

On my 95 SE, it will occassionally have a high pitched sort of "howling" noise
that starts when the rpm's go up off idle. If you then take your foot off the
gas, it stalls instead of idling. Restart then, and it's OK (usually). Or if you keep
rpm's up for a second and/or blip the throttle, it'll go away and be fine. The fact that
it can be fine on a restart or if I kick the throttle a 2nd time suggests to me that
maybe it's some kind of switch that's sticking and affecting the intake (??). Seems
like the howling might be some kinda air flow problem on the intake side. No engine
light. Seems to do this either 0-3 times in the 15 min city drive to work. Does it both
hot or cold engine (but maybe more often with hot?).

Thoughts?

Thx.

Brent

95 SE MTX (only 104K km!)
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
the sound is the infamous "moose"

the casue is either a sluggish IAC valve that may need replacement or the ports that the air, metered by the IAC valve, are dirty and simply need to be cleaned to restore normal operation.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
thanks, yes a "moose" sound isn't too bad of a description... Pardon my ignorance, but what
is an "IAC" valve? If this is a common gripe, is there a "how to remove/clean the IAC" FAQ in here?
I've looked but haven't been able to find it if there is.

Thanks for the response.

Brent

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Look in the FAQ for the throttle hang fix, which is essentially the moose fix. The IAC is the sort of bright silver can with an electrical connector on the end poking out of the upper intake manifold near the firewall. (About 5" left of the brake fluid resevoir) It's just behind the sliver hat-looking thing with the little green hose hooked to it. They cost about $70 to replace, but cleaning and fising the moose problem is pretty easy. The moose usually shows up as the weather cools down.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Hi again,

I found the throttle hang fix.... that's the 1/2 copper pipe cap with hole used as a restriction plate...
I guess you mean that I should 1) clean the IAC and also 2) install a restricter cap/plate? I
also saw the TSB for "moosing"... there it says the fix is to install the "revised duct and
resonator assembly (F6RZ-9B659-CA)". The car's a stock 2.5L... maybe the 'throttle hang fix'
is more for fixing "moosing" induced by switching to aftermarket intake parts?

Just trying to figure out if I should do the TSB parts kit (revised ducts?) or just leave 'em be.

thanks again,

Brent

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Others know more about these things than me, but on my stock 95 SE V6 MTX, I did the throttle hang fix (1/2" copper pipe cap) and that resolved the moosing. You can probably rid yourself of the moose without installing the TSB parts kit.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
So.. I was really time-limited when I got home last night... But it took me about 2 1/2 minutes
from start to finish to do the "throttle hang fix". Moosing has magically disappeared and the car
is running great! I'll still have a look & clean the IAC valve when I have a few minutes, but I am a
very happy camper now.

Oh, and I just wanted to add... like those beer commercials.... "I love you guys"!!

Brent

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard