Next Thread
Print Thread
#422875 08/27/02 12:10 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I have been wanting to get more power out of this car and i was wondering what is the better way to go i know Votech makes a kit for the svt and i can get my hands on it for holesale but from what i heard turbo is the way to go with this car any info would be helpful

NEW TOY 2000 FORD F150 HARLEY DAVIDSON PICKUP (FROM FLORIDA AND ONLY HAS 30,000 miles )(and stock NOT FOR LONG) ( Gone as of 11-25-03) 2000 Silver Frost Svt Contour With Stuff
K
K
How much money do you want to spend in total (or how much can you spend)? Turbos can be more expensive, but they offer superior performance gains over the superchargers without adding some stress to engine cranks and such. Turbos turn potentially wasted engine energy into higher performance. For an engine such as this, I'd definitely go the turbo route, despite it being more money for the initial setup.

'99 Contour SE V6 w/MTX (Black Clearcoat) '02 Dakota 4.7L V8 2WD X-Cab (Flame Red Clearcoat)
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Do you know about how much a turbo setup is i will spend around 3,000 to 4000 is what i am looking i can get a charger for less than 3,000 so i was just curious on prices cause i am putting it up for the winter in about 2 months and then the work will start

NEW TOY 2000 FORD F150 HARLEY DAVIDSON PICKUP (FROM FLORIDA AND ONLY HAS 30,000 miles )(and stock NOT FOR LONG) ( Gone as of 11-25-03) 2000 Silver Frost Svt Contour With Stuff
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Turbo is 5k total for the kit. That is unless you already have things like an APEXi, downpipe, etc as then you deduct that from the price of the kit. Streetflight is the one who is selling it. It was designed in part with Terry Haines. DDavis(Darrel) on these forums (hangs out alot in the southwest forum) has driving in one that had the turbo and said it was FASSSSSSSST! 340hp at the crank or something like that. If I only had 5k laying around.

Simon W. Las Vegas. 96 SE V6 MTX Tereador Red - RIP! 1970 Mustang Coupe 302 4 barrell many mods.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by SILVER SVT:
Do you know about how much a turbo setup is i will spend around 3,000 to 4000 is what i am looking i can get a charger for less than 3,000 so i was just curious on prices cause i am putting it up for the winter in about 2 months and then the work will start

Where can you get the Vortech for under 3k?

Since your price range limits you to the S/C kit I suggest you read up on it's failure rate. Hopefully the new "fixes" from Vortech will bring it below 100%.
Though I have not heard much lately about failures so maybe they are holding together?

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I can get a vortech supercharger for 2700 and that is through a friend who owns a race shop but what are you talking about faliure??

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Vortech's early design of the system for the Duratech was less than stellar, involving many prop-shaft failures, as well as a lot of internal seal problems on the supercharger units they were using (apparently mostly because of the oil supply location choice though)
word is that most of the problems are resolved, but the man to talk to about Vortechs on Contours would be Worldtour, as he has probably the most hands on experience w/ Vortech problems, and was very active in helping Vortech resolve the issues.

My personal opinion would lean toward the turbo kit despite its higher cost. IMHO, the turbo kit is a more complete and better engineered. Despite the fact that I'm less than impressed w/ the tuning method used for either one (the turbo kit was trying to use a much better method of tuning, but development of the "chip" they were gonna use ran into some snags) The turbo kit also includes an intercooler, something the s/c kit is notably lacking (and really really needs)

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Allright that is what i heard from a buddy about the superchargers where can i find a turbo kit at?? and i have also thought about being cheap and puting NOS on the car i have heard a 75 to 100 hp shot is the way to go with that car but wondering if i should be spend the extra money and save the motor in the long run.

Link Copied to Clipboard