Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
D
Quote:
Let's all get real.. The reason people don't want to get rid of their Contours is because 90% of people are upside down on their loans because of the pitiful resale value of these cars. So they feel they have to make the best of a bad situation by modding their current ride.
Trying to be "real"
1) Mine is paid for
2) Resale losses are little worse than other similar sporty 4-doors (and no worse when you factor in the big discounts many of us got ..paid 18.4K new in my case)..

3) Really why i keep it is that I do not want to part with 50K for a new M3 and that is the only car that is tempting me away from the SVT. I have looked at the competition ..WRX, Altima, Maxima, IS300, A4, and do not find them more entertaining or desireable. The SVT is as much fun as my old MR2 turbo if not more so. And that blows me away.

But as to the turbo..I do agree that the tranny, halfshafts are going to be a problem if the car is pushed hard (racing). Not sure about motor, I have been surprised at how well Duratecs have delt with 260-295 FWHP from the S/C.. good tuning, good oil system, good cooling/intercooling, keeping stock redline and a DMD..maybe a decent life at 300 HP???

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
H
H
I think that a lot of the problems with Capaldi and Mumm blowing up trannies is in the fact that they are running racing clutches, solid motor mounts, and 300HP+ normally aspirated. Not to mention that they are probably running synchro-less and are shifting the daylights out of them under hard power. Lots of abuse.

With a turbo, the inherent lag in the system should help to dampen the power transfer through the tranny so that it doesn't stress the components nearly as much as a full racing setup would.

The synchros and differential gears are known weakness that need to be addressed, but has anyone actually stripped a halfshaft or gearset yet - other than Mumm or Capaldi?

99 Cougar MTX
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Officer Cartman:
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
[b]And wouldn't it be neet the next time your crusin down your local Blvd. at a 30 Mph role and and the guy beside you in the Z06 gags on it and is left inhaling the fumes from your blow off FFFPPPSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!! wink laugh :p wink
[/b]
Whats that supposed to mean?? confused

1998.5 CSVT
K&N Custom Intake
Custom 2 3/4" Magnaflow cat back
Ram HD Power Grip Clutch
Bosch Platnium +

Alpine deck "CDA-7863"
Boston mids

More to come

Stock Sucks!!!!
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Officer Cartman:
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
[b]And wouldn't it be neet the next time your crusin down your local Blvd. at a 30 Mph role and and the guy beside you in the Z06 gags on it and is left inhaling the fumes from your blow off FFFPPPSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!! wink laugh :p wink
[/b]
UH zo6....405 hp....i don't think so, maybe a base line corvette, but not a zo6

ALL UR BOOST ARE BELONG TO US
T
T
Quote:
Right, with stock power, he was able to do that.. With a turbo, your chances of that happening are 10x worse.
Rick was running aftermarket hubs or something, parts which did not include a crown nut to keep everything bolted together right. That is what caused his problem...I was there, saw it happen..and saw the diagnosis as they took the car apart in the parking lot of Gingerman.

I agree, leaving the car with the stock tranny, you'll destroy something by putting on slicks. But, I think it takes ALOT of abuse to strip out the gears. Of course, you've got Mark who's been running 350HP @ the crank, and has had no problems with his tranny, but if I were doing this project with enough money to do it right, I'd be looking at a Quaife, upgraded driveshafts, solid motor mounts, and a beefy clutch. As far as the engine goes, again, Mark is proof that the engine can handle the power just fine. I mean lets face it people, it's a great freaking engine!!

1999 Silver Frost SVT
#609 of 2760
Born on 12/3/98

KKM Intake
Removed Resonator
35% Window Tint all around
Tinted Tail Lights
ElKy Mesh Grilles
HID

Dyno'ed at 175.3HP/155.5TQ

"How much must I live through just to get away..."
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
Quote:
Right, with stock power, he was able to do that.. With a turbo, your chances of that happening are 10x worse.
Rick was running aftermarket hubs or something, parts which did not include a crown nut to keep everything bolted together right. That is what caused his problem...I was there, saw it happen..and saw the diagnosis as they took the car apart in the parking lot of Gingerman.

I agree, leaving the car with the stock tranny, you'll destroy something by putting on slicks. But, I think it takes ALOT of abuse to strip out the gears. Of course, you've got Mark who's been running 350HP @ the crank, and has had no problems with his tranny, but if I were doing this project with enough money to do it right, I'd be looking at a Quaife, upgraded driveshafts, solid motor mounts, and a beefy clutch. As far as the engine goes, again, Mark is proof that the engine can handle the power just fine. I mean lets face it people, it's a great freaking engine!!
As far as those numbers go lets not foget about Turbo focus guy that is putting 330 to the wheels hp/tq. I am wondering at what hp do we have to worry about the stack of gears shearing off. As far as rick goes his prototype hubs wore out. The splines stripped within the hubs. Was said by terry that hubs were not made within the tolerances that they needed to be. IF you have ever but your own have shafts on you will find out that you have to beat the hub on with a hammer. Very tight fit. I am told ricks were a little looser. I am a skeptic that the car will be able to hold that kind of power but I am looking at other weaknesses like the motor mounts. I think everything can be addressed and will by someone in the near future. smile

Dustyn
Red 1998 SVT E1
95 Mustang GT
Yeah there both slow
New ram clutch for sale
Sho shop pullies and belt for sale 30 bucks
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard