Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey guys. Been a while. Well the wife forced me to give up the SVT in favor of a new Mustang GT last fall. And we are now divorced! smile Anyway, finally got my track car done a couple months ago (1986 ITS RX7) and made my on track debut at Gateway in St. Louis a couple weeks ago. I've been lurking this board since I lost the SVT and decided to touch base. OK maybe brag a bit too! smile We had a great weekend!

We went to Gateway International in St. Louis a couple weekends ago for a drivers school on Friday and Saturday and our first regional race on Sunday. The school was great. Got about 80 laps in between the two days which allowed me to learn the track very well. By the end of Saturday we were turning consistent 1:15 lap times. The track record for my class is a 1:10. I was VERY pleased with the car. Very neutral, some understeer under throttle, VERY stable under braking. My junk yard motor was performing remarkably well despite an uncooperative fuel pressure regulator. Got my liscense with flying colors and didn't put a scratch on the car.

Sunday we hit the track for the 25 minute practice/qualifying session with alot of confidence. We were the fastest ITS car there by far (there were about 6 or 8 cars in the class and they were all novices like myself, guess the Easter holiday kept the regulars away?). On one of my first laps a couple cars had a bit of a moment in front of me and I got on the brakes real hard to make sure I didn't get collected. As it turns out I flatspotted the left front VERY badly. Even with a bad vibration we went on to qualify at a 1:13. We took the 4th grid position. We sat 4th overall out of 37 total cars in our run group. Only 3 ITE cars out qualified us. We out qualified all the V8 AS cars in our group! Only three seconds off a track record on our first weekend with a new car, new driver and zero wrench turning all weekend. We were VERY pleased. Next closest ITS car was 18th overall and qualified at a 1:21.

We had to mount a set of sticker tires for the race on the front because of the flatspot. Wasn't too happy about that but it was my fault. Anyway at the start I dropped back to about 8th. Just playing it safe because we had such an advantage in class at the start. Ended up racing a well driven Miata for about 3 laps before making the pass stick and ending up 6th overall and 1st in class. Turns out we were moved up to 5th when the overall winner was penalized post-race.

My overall impressions of a race prepped 2nd gen RX7 are very high! Very predictable handling, decent power though the chassis could certainly handle more than the stock NA we're allowed can make. AWESOME brakes. We were killing alot of the big AS cars (Camaros and Mustangs) under braking coming off the oval. I've got a couple adjustments in mind for May when we go back to Gateway. Maybe we can go after the track record? I know we can get into the 1:12s at least.

Gotta thank my guys, Mike and Joe, for helping me out. Luckily we didn't have to turn a single wrench all weekend except to rotate tires and then to change a couple. We're heading to IRP on the 19-21st. Wish us luck!

Chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/rrxp689

Chris
2001.5 Dodge Ram/Cummins 2500
1986 SCCA/ITS RX7 roadracer

2001 KY Region and Tri-Region STS Champion
D
D
WOW! Nice work. Sounds like you've been having some fun. I'll be starting in on the mods for my family truckster soon. wink (love your sig)

2000 Silver SVT #1602
Check it out in the registry!
Mi Coche
S
S
Fantastic Chris. Looks like autocrossing taught you good habits. Road racers think they are high and mighty compared to autocrossers so it's good to see someone with a Solo background do well.

Keep up the good work and beat that record. I like the Mustang GT, too. Sorry about the ex. Time to find a girl who likes cars!!

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I got the autox v. roadracing question alot the last couple weeks. IMO both are very similar. Autox requires more precision. With roadracing you're just going faster and some of the tough spots are just a gut check and not so much about skill. I like that aprt and missed it when I was autoxing. Still doing the autox thing too. Won CSP first time out this year. Car autoxed alot better than I thought it would. I skipped the second event, which was the first points event, but will probably race as many as I can and see if I can compete for the title.

Chris

Chris

J
J
Chris... You shall never possess the title!!!

I shall see to that! laugh

I am gonna get me some racing stripes for the '80. That should add at least 50hp and then you will be toast!!! wink

Darn ITS cars getting classed as CSP... Who ever came up with that crap...

Congrats again on a great weekend at St. Louie.

Later,
James

James
'89 Plymouth Colt GT Turbo (Rapid Transit Turbocan)
'80 Mazda RX-7 GS (da AutoX Bish!)
'85 RX-7 GSL (da Partz Bish!)
'98 Ford Contour SVT (Wifey's Car:) )
R
rrxp689 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
You might be right James. I'm out of tires and might not have anything sticky to run at next weeks autox. DOH! Hopefully it'll rain. My rains need the glaze broke off them anyway! laugh

Chris

Chris

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard