Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
This is why you keep your money separate.

KoKo is right, though.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
All very good points.

It may not be worth it financially to go after this guy, costing more than the $150 in NSF charges.

However, isn't is check fraud to write checks that you know will not clear.

HIS name is on the checks that didn't clear. So isn't this guy comitting an act of fraud if he writes the checks and then clears the account?

Seems the evidence would be there. The banks have the checks, and if any of them were processed electronically, you would have the exact times the checks were submitted and could compare that with the time he cleared out the account.

I would imagine the bank would be interested in someone trying to perpetrate a fraud.

I know the first time my now ex-wife wrote a check on "my" account (We each had accounts, and were co-owners on each others primary accounts) during her affair, she bounced the check, and I closed that account since I couldn't remove her from the account. Since it was a negative balance, I paid the difference, the bank waived the fees given the situation and my longstanding relationship with them, and opened a new account, new debit card, etc.

Done.

She was off the credit cards, save the $400 limit gas card, etc.

I would go back to the bank and take your evidence, your statement will tell when the checks were presented and when ex-fiance presented himself to clean out the account and ask them if they like being a party to fraud?

I would not settle for less than the NSF charges being dropped and if they want to go after him, she would be willing to cooperate fully with the bank.

Otherwise, there are plenty of banks who do want her business, and perhaps the $150 was cheap tuition in the school of life, and a new bank would appreciate her business even more.

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
MAYBE he was a "nice" asshat and only screwed her over "a little." But since he's OK with cleaning out their checking account and leaving her with the NSFs (Do you know how many more checks have not finished bouncing yet?), you can go ahead and assume this is no big thing. One almost-spouse stealing the other almost-spouse's money is never serious. Right?

If they had any joint credit cards, she'd better check NOW to see if they were maxed out. Did he do address change orders with the Post Office, banks, car loan company, gasoline cards, other credit institutions? What other messes/surprises did he leave for her and how long will it take the full news of those potential surprises to get to her?

Yeah, she's got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to consider here because he is SOOOO trustworthy and stuff like the worst case scenarios NEVER happen.

If you agree, might you care to buy some ocean front property in Nebraska?

I'll say it again. I don't think it's that serious. As for your advice PDX it's great, from a lawyer's standpoint. Which is from what I remember, your profession.

Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
This is why you keep your money separate.

KoKo is right, though.

Thanks Diva.

The bottomline is this. It would cost you FAR too much time and effort to go after the guy legally. The bank won't assist you because they consider it too petty. It's a victimless crime. Everyday business for the bank. It sucks that it happend to your gf, but like you said, chalk it up as experience.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
Y
Y2KSVT Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Well there's more to it, as any break-up would have. I was mainly concerned with this part of it. He's changed the locks to the house(as I would do the same), but he won't allow her to pickup HER computer, and a bunch of other stuff that she couldn't get with her initial move. He's just being difficult, because she was the one that wanted out of the deadend relationship.

As for theie banking accounts, they decided to split the money that was in the checking account. She withdrew her portion, and then he wrote checks with what he had left. He knew that he could take his name off of the account, move the remaining funds into his personal checking, and leave those checks outstanding, to bounce and come back on her. He also transferred 100% of the savings account into his name, and isn't giving her any of it. That's another story though. She's just too passive/nice to go after him.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would think that preventing her from getting her personal property is a crime as well as the check fraud.

It wouldn't hurt to file a police report, to have the complaint on record.

Or perhaps having a registered letter sent indicating that she believes certain property, enumerated in the letter, such as her computer, and specific damages, such as NSF fees, cost of new checks for new account, etc, are due her.

It may be worth an hour of a good lawyers time to learn what her options are.

Or, perhaps a call to the local DA or PD?

You never know.

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard