Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Beowulf:
During the Battle of the Bulge, the 101st Airborne was surrounded in Bastonge, Belgium. The Nazi General offered surrender to the 101st, and the General's reply was "Nuts!".

The 101st had very little ammo, food and lacked adequate clothing. The Germans had spanked everyone in their way on the way to Bastonge, which was a crucial crossroads. The 101st had little to nothign to fight with, but repelled every attack over a very cold winter.

It was one of the finest moments in American military history.

Patton was in an accident, but died of an embolism.

* I accidently put "jeep" in there as it was on my mind, but he was actually riding in a Caddy at the time.

Im guessing you have watched Band of Brothers.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Tourige:

Yes, but I also am somewhat interested in history and prior to seeing Band of Brothers, I read an excellent account of WWII called "Delivered from Evil" by Robert Leckie. I have read other WWII books, but that is by far my favorite.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
During the Battle of the Bulge, the 101st Airborne was surrounded in Bastonge, Belgium. The Nazi General offered surrender to the 101st, and the General's reply was "Nuts!".

The 101st had very little ammo, food and lacked adequate clothing. The Germans had spanked everyone in their way on the way to Bastonge, which was a crucial crossroads. The 101st had little to nothign to fight with, but repelled every attack over a very cold winter.

It was one of the finest moments in American military history.

And of course the other ultimate quote from the seige of Bastogne was "They've got us surrounded, the poor bas*ards."

Quote:

Patton was in an accident, but died of an embolism... he was actually riding in a Caddy at the time.

Yeah, many people don't realize Patton never made it back to the States. He died in Dec. of 1945 after a truck driver cut off his car. Happened on a base in Germany. He hit his head on a metal part of the partition between the seats. The car is preserved at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, KY, where I saw it a few years ago. Cool place to visit.

As for Leckie, I read his "The Wars of America" books in college. Two of the few assigned books I actually enjoyed reading.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Leckie writes good stuff, I also recommend his book "Helmet for a Pillow" which is about his time as a Marine in the Pacific theater.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Tourige:

Yes, but I also am somewhat interested in history and prior to seeing Band of Brothers, I read an excellent account of WWII called "Delivered from Evil" by Robert Leckie. I have read other WWII books, but that is by far my favorite.

"Citizen Soldiers" by Stephen Ambrose is also particularly good, IMO.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard